Saw this one today

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the so-called "feature film" is paying sub-standard, then why would anyone want to encourage it ?

And you ask me that to me?

Maybe it's better to start to educate your students about business (money, conditions, business relationships etc)

because I see many other colleagues (in my age) to accept that type of rates and conditions not for the good of the rest industry but for those first and after for the whole industry. Did you agree with that?

I don't ask to encourage anyone here. I post something who happend to me and I share it not for me but for the other young people (and not young) colleagues to see what young producers (and not young) offers. And if you think that not happend sometime in US market (or other market) you may start to rethink some things.

What did you think about deferred payment? It's a new way "work for free"? How can you solve that problem? In the theory it's all easy. But in practical way it's not easy.

What did you think about deferred payment? It's a new way "work for free"? How can you solve that problem? In the theory it's all easy. But in practical way it's not easy.

Never ever ever ever work for deferred payment.  The legalities behind it can be very complex, it's far worse than low pay.

Never ever ever ever work for deferred payment.  The legalities behind it can be very complex, it's far worse than low pay.

That happened in one colleague here with deferred payment because they don't know. Now know. It's a lesson.

And sharing that stories you help the other colleagues to know.

" What did you think about deferred payment? It's a new way "work for free"? "

nope,  it is an old way to work for free.

that weekend course on how to make movies without money ... try to offer them "deferred payment"!

my point is that these folks are perhaps making feature length projects, but calling them feature films is an insult to real movies!

Yes, it would be wonderful if a "real" major motion picture came to your home town to make their movie, and it would be your  hope for to get to be the utility sound technician, 

No matter what the country, this can be a tough business, and in many ways particularly difficult for talented, enthusiastic folks outside of the major centers, since when the circus (od a major production) comes to town, they often bring along almost all of their talented performers, and are only interested in hiring basic local labor for cheap.

thus, Vas, my point in this current exchange is that this "first request for feature film" is probably just a low paying POS wanna-be movie, that probably will barely be featured at a cast and crew screening.  don't bother to give a second of worry that you have missed your big chance to do a real movie.

Maybe you don't get my point.

I don't have a big problem with low paying for that project.

I have a problem with deferred payment according with low pay.

And I don't wait a big project to come in my house and to ask to be a mixer with high rate.

I know the rates in my industry. I know if one big project coming here to ask to work as boom operator or utility.

I know my limitations and what experience I have and then I give a X rate for X project.

" I have a problem with deferred payment according with low pay. "

well, OK, you are right, there...

as long as they won't be paying you,  they may as well not pay you at a better proper rate

" I don't wait a big project to come in my house... "

I know.

" I have a problem with deferred payment according with low pay. "

well, OK, you are right, there...

as long as they won't be paying you,  they may as well not pay you at a better proper rate

" I don't wait a big project to come in my house... "

I know.

Check your PM because...

I have to admit, I did work on a couple of movies with defered payment. I never thought "wow great, I'll get all this money someday", instead I always treated them as no-budget films. They served me well. I didn't have much else to do in my earlier days and I needed and wanted the experience and the networking. The region I lived at then was virtually devoid of any film-making, so I took on every opportunity I could get. Defered/No-budget were the only "jobs" I could get at first. But I met a lot of people who have given me work later on. Plus the experience. And I had a few movies in my list, and later employers often look for that, before they hire you on a movie. And I made sure I always got a decent rental for my own gear, whatever I had at first. Upfront.

Then I moved to another region, which is much better in terms of a film/TV industry. Many of the acquaintances from those no-budget projects were here, too and they sometimes recommended me to others and this led to actual, paying jobs. I'm certainly not one the top-tier mixers here in Germany, but I make a decent living now. I'm not saying this is because of the no-budget movies, but they didn't hurt, either. Plus, I have to stress: Experience.

It depends on where you are on your career, but money shouldn't be the only consideration. 

One thing I really do agree with, though: Defered payment should always be standard rates, at least.

I have to admit, I did work on a couple of movies with defered payment. I never thought "wow great, I'll get all this money someday", instead I always treated them as no-budget films. They served me well. I didn't have much else to do in my earlier days and I needed and wanted the experience and the networking. The region I lived at then was virtually devoid of any film-making, so I took on every opportunity I could get. Defered/No-budget were the only "jobs" I could get at first. But I met a lot of people who have given me work later on. Plus the experience. And I had a few movies in my list, and later employers often look for that, before they hire you on a movie. And I made sure I always got a decent rental for my own gear, whatever I had at first. Upfront.

Then I moved to another region, which is much better in terms of a film/TV industry. Many of the acquaintances from those no-budget projects were here, too and they sometimes recommended me to others and this led to actual, paying jobs. I'm certainly not one the top-tier mixers here in Germany, but I make a decent living now. I'm not saying this is because of the no-budget movies, but they didn't hurt, either. Plus, I have to stress: Experience.

It depends on where you are on your career, but money shouldn't be the only consideration. 

One thing I really do agree with, though: Defered payment should always be standard rates, at least.

For you it works that deferred payment because you are in different country.

Also I have a "connections" here. I don't worry for "connections". But if I accepted that project with deferred payment then the whole productions will ask me to work with deferred payment. You can't understand how small industry we are here.

Deferred payment here = you have no future to get some money (and the bills run like a crazy).

For all of you: This is the "road" who Constantin describe. But this is NOT work here. Not work here that road. Who can explain that more easy?

Last chance for No Budget Film School!

Dear Filmmakers,

My class is this weekend. This may be the only time I teach it in LA this year, so you won't want to miss it. Don't wait for permission to be a filmmaker--learn how to make a movie right now with the resources you have.

NO BUDGET FILM SCHOOL PRESENTS:

"THE ART & SCIENCE OF NO BUDGET FILMMAKING"

A Two-Day No-Budget Filmmaking Immersion

May 11 & 12, 2013

Raleigh Studios - Los Angeles, CA

http://nobudgetfilmschool.eventbrite.com

Save 20%! Use Promotional Code:  SUBS

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vasileios,

I get where you're coming from.  Ignore our enigmatic friend SM on this one as he sometimes has trouble understanding what it is he's saying.

Getting your first offer for a feature and being willing to turn it down by knowing enough about what you want and how you wish to progress in the industry is commendable. 

Thanks for sharing it.

For you it works that deferred payment because you are in different country.

Also I have a "connections" here. I don't worry for "connections". But if I accepted that project with deferred payment then the whole productions will ask me to work with deferred payment. You can't understand how small industry we are here.

Deferred payment here = you have no future to get some money (and the bills run like a crazy).

For all of you: This is the "road" who Constantin describe. But this is NOT work here. Not work here that road. Who can explain that more easy?

Vaselios, I wasn't addressing you with this. You know your market and your own situation best, and you have to decide what's best for you. I was merely offering a different point of view in this thread which appeared to generally agree that no job is better than an unpaid job.

Vaselios, I wasn't addressing you with this. You know your market and your own situation best, and you have to decide what's best for you. I was merely offering a different point of view in this thread which appeared to generally agree that no job is better than an unpaid job.

I see. :-)

Deferred payment you need to get a more and more project in one year (aka 2013 more work) to cover first the lost days (work days) from project with deferred payment. After you need to be paid from "more and more projects" immediately to cover the debt from project with deferred payment. I don't know anyone here to have that projects to cover X debt from one project; especially with that economical crisis here. As what you say no job is better than an unpaid job agree 100%.

A good one from CL today:

Seeking a Gaffer for a featured film. Email us your resume, reels and any references. Filming in June 2013 The gaffer is also known as the chief lighting technician. This person is primarily responsible for developing a lighting plan according to the desires of the Director of Photography. The gaffer informs the best boy and key grip on where and which lights are to be placed. The gaffer is in charge of creating the best possible lighting scenario according to the camera framing.

Seeking a Gaffer for a featured film. Email us your resume, reels and any references. 

Just once, I'd like to email a prospective producer and say, "before we have a meeting, can I see your demo reel of the movies you've produced, and your resume? I just want to get a general idea of your background and expertise."

Just once, I'd like to email a prospective producer and say, "before we have a meeting, can I see your demo reel of the movies you've produced, and your resume? I just want to get a general idea of your background and expertise."

I've done that. They don't know how to respond, usually. When asked why I tell them that unless they're paying me full rate I am very selective about what projects I take on.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

I've also noticed that the real "pro" producers are very willing to offer up their experience and script to a preposed lo/no project. I've accepted some of these projects in the past based on them selling me on both the story but also the crew that they've assembled. Ultimately, if the producers believe in their project because of real objective reasons, have a solid script, and reasonable expectations, they have a better chance of me giving my free time to their "art"

" The gaffer informs the best boy and key grip "

they are going to have a best boy and a key grip ??

" "before we have a meeting, can I see your demo reel of the movies you've produced, and your resume? I just want to get a general idea of your background and expertise." "

exactly!  I already know I'm qualified

" real "pro" producers are very willing to offer up their experience and script  "

the real ones have some real experience...

as for my interest in the script... not so much until I'm convinced the project (and producer) are "real".