Sennheiser G3 SK100 not powering up question

sonicparticle

Hey all

3-4 months ago, I purchased a couple of UK freq Sennheiser G3 100s from soundkit.co.uk and the SK100 transmitter from one of the pairs just stopped switching on yesterday for no reason at all.

I always use them with Duracell Ultra Power batteries. I tried them with new batteries off the shelf to no avail, while all the rest of my G3s power up with the same two batteries with no problem at all.

I also tried with some 2900mAh Delkins and 2850mAh Aansmanns, just in case it made any difference but nothing there as well.

After I flipped from Duracells to the Delkins I got some fade in orange glow from the screen but then it fade it down to nothing again.

On the same note, every time I change batteries on the units the temporarily light on. This transmitter does nothing.

Is it dead?

I had a look through the manual to see if I accidentally pressed a menu option that locks the unit and needs a key combo to switch them on but I couldn't find anything.

Great to know it isn't just my units.

Did you get that dimming, flashing orange at all as well?

I realise you've checked the batteries, but the symptoms indicate a fault in in the power supply. Most likely internal, but it would be good to check your battery contacts for continuity (using a multimeter) to see if one of the traces UNDER the battery (those black strips) is faulty, or something like that. If that checks out ok, send it away to be serviced.

Edit: Keep in mind that because of the way Sennheiser arranges the batteries in the G3 (both positives on one end), + to - continuity is different to the norm.

" for no reason at all."

probably for a reason:  it's broken.

but first, try following DS ultra-master reset sequence.

if that doesn't correct the issue, it needs to go to the hospital

He, he... I meant that there was nothing obvious happening to the unit that would suggest such a problem! No bucket of water splashed the transmitter, not a hurricane grabbed it from my hands and send it to the other side of the world, a thunder lighting didn't strike the antenna while on skyscraper location.

Please elaborate on the DS ultra-master reset sequence... I have to known now!

The unit is on it's way to Sennheiser now. Hopefully they will share what was the problem. I will post it here for future reference.

I thought that would be the case. I searched the forum before I put in my response and I noticed that no one really responded to the same question. Now I know why! 

I might not be able to find out why that G3 kicked the bucket as it did, but now I am able to comprehend Senator's sense of humour a tad better. That surely must account for something!  ;D

• 6 years later...