Unpaid Internships

Hello everyone!
I was reading through my routine news sites and came across this article about the unfairness and negative effects of unpaid internships.

The article is aimed towards Design students, but I have come across a few related topics upon my scowering of topics here at JW.

SO!, what' ya think in regards of our industry?

I won't add my opinions yet, me being such a young'en.

http://www.psfk.com/2013/04/unpaid-design-internships.html

Officialy here after the IMF, EE and Greek Goverment decision

the "Internships" abolished. Now called "semi-professionals".

What's the problem?

1. You are at University. You are graduated. Everything it's ok. The time for internship is here. No! The employer want from you (and pay for you) not the "internship" but professional work. He/she want from you to know the job. If you ask "how to know the job when I have graduated now from University?". They don't care. Maybe you born it sound mixer and you don't know it.

2. You are working under the "semi-professional" laws. 30 days or 31 days. Your pay it is MAX 500 euro. But at IKA (National Insurance Office) you are not looking to work for 30 days but 15. It's legal. The employer they have the permission to do that.

When I have graduated from my first school (sound engineering) they call me at TV100 (municipal tv) for internship. 3 months. Unpaid. After one month I have up my middle finger.

That's why this forum for me it's my school and thanks again all of you. I have learn this job from you and that tips / info etc I have put it in no/low budgets.

This, too, has been covered well before...

but this thread gives me a chance to report that yesterday I did my annual day on the committee reviewing applications for the TV Academy's paid ($500/week) sound internship.

Was very pleased to see strong letters of recommendation from David Bondelovich and Peter Damsky for their students among the applications.

Many moons ago, when I did my internship, a certain number of hours as an intern were part of my graduation requirement. I worked, got my hours, got my degree. I wasn't paid in cash, but in credit hours, experience and networking opportunities. It was, in my opinion, a fair trade. It ultimately worked in my fvor, they hired me right after I graduated.

I interned at three different recording studios since I was moving around a lot after graduation. None of them were payed, all of them were for credit and networking. The last one I interned at gave me a job after my internship was done. It wasn't easy going all that time with no pay, but since there are so few jobs in music/audio I thought it to be a good filtration process to keep the few studios still around from being over run with green kids with no real world experience working for less than the going rate. I only wish production sound had that sort of filter on it!

I can accept unpaid internship only if that is for credit and networking but when I don't have it; I don't accept it.

Here each knows the other (small industry) so for the "networking" it's "not working".

For credit ok.

You just have to apply a whoooooole lot of discernment.

I took an unpaid internship that was not for class credit with a documentary filmmaker. At my interview I told them that I loved and had been focusing on sound in school. The director made extra cash directing commercials for a Fortune 500 company, and during one of those shoots, he hired me as a PA, but asked me to bring my sound gear and record sound. You might think that to be a bit exploitative, but with my experience level and basic kit, I think it was mutually equitable.

After two days of recording, and busting ass as a PA, a Producer on set asked for my card, hired me to record sound on another project with the same company, and has been my principal corporate client for three years. I've worked with several other Producers and DPs there, who have hired me for other projects outside that company.

If you decide that an unpaid internship is for you, make sure that every single moment you are shiny, because you have no idea when opportunity will be checking you out.

Best,

Steven