BLK 25 in Los Angeles Area

JamesB

Running 2 lma to sra on blk 25 every day all around So Cal and there seems to always be lots of free rf real estate.

My blk 26 ucr100s take hits like mad though. Thinking of selling/trading the RXs and getting R1as to see if they'd work better than my m72/pr72 system.

Running 2 lma to sra on blk 25 every day all around So Cal and there seems to always be lots of free rf real estate.

My blk 26 ucr100s take hits like mad though. Thinking of selling/trading the RXs and getting R1as to see if they'd work better than my m72/pr72 system.

Ya... blk 26 is awful in this area... which is what makes it fine for IFB.  I found one open freq on a scan, and have been using it all over town for about a year.... boom op never complains.  I would never want it for anything important.

I have five in bk 25 without issue. I'm surprised you're using 26 and 22 personally. I had one set in 22 and didn't enjoy the limited open space on that block, so I sold it and replaced it with a 21.

DeepOwl,

I'm my experience, ucr100's greatly outperform r1a's as far reception range goes. I regret getting rid of mine. I can no longer reliably do car to car monitoring. Wish I could mod my r1's to have similar range as the 100's. Lesson learned.

I have five in bk 25 without issue. I'm surprised you're using 26 and 22 personally. I had one set in 22 and didn't enjoy the limited open space on that block, so I sold it and replaced it with a 21.

I have 2 channels in 22 and I find that usually I can find enough space for 2.  I also find that in places around Los Angeles where 21 is bad, that 22 will save me.

I've had good luck in 26 for IFB feed, I wanted something out of the way from any receiver on my cart. 

Hi James, We met on those Disney promos last year and I've been meaning to get in touch, so I thought I'd chime in. I think Andy is right about Block 20, but 25 is currently very good in LA. Two DTV stations and the other half of the block is wide open, in my experience. It's one of my main talent blocks and I never have issues with it.

Paul

Hey Paul!  It was good to see you there.... its nice to work a shoot with several crews so we get to work along side other sound mixers.  Thanks for your input on 25, glad to hear its been clear for you.  

I have rented both 20 and 25 to see how they compare... they both looked pretty open, similar to my 21s on a good day.... I was warned that 19 and 20 are more susceptible it walkie interference due to the proximity in the spectrum.. which is I was leaning toward 25.

You or anyone else ever experienced any issue with that?

Just to be clear, R1a's on block 26 won't be an improvement over UCR100's on 26.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Appreciate the info Larry. I may end up increasing my number of RXs on 26 over time and replace my comteks eventually. Good to know ucr100s and R1as are useful options.

Just to be clear, R1a's on block 26 won't be an improvement over UCR100's on 26.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro