Todd Weaver Car Rig

Todd Weaver

On so many shows I've done lately, for the task of shooting actors in a moving car, there has been a strange absence of a process trailer. So, I've grown weary of dropping an unattended bag in the trunk of the car and "pressing record and hoping for the best." Enter the remote controlled car rig.

I placed a macbook pro running BoomRecorderPro, MOTU CueMix FX, and iteleport (VNC).

I stuffed 4 channels of Lectro wireless receivers, cisco router, GR-1, a Motu-Traveler, and 12V power source with inverter along with the MacBook Pro in the 6 space SKB computer case.

In OSX i created an aggregate device to include the computer's built in audio jack and the traveler and assigned the mix output of the software mixer (CueMix) to track one on BoomRecorder.

I installed the client apps for iteleport on my ipad and iphone.

I also installed a client program called TouchOSC that uses a very wifi friendly protocol to function as a software control surface for the software mixer (CueMix).

I plugged the GR-1 into the computer audio jack for time code. The four wireless units along with 4 more preamps allow for plenty of actor lavs and plant mics in the car. So, now I have a software recorder taking a mix from a software mixer that also is recording the iso tracks right from the preamps on the interface. (Traveler) I pipe the mix out one of the audio outputs on the traveler to a wireless transmitter to my remotely located comtek base station.

The box closes up, the truck lid goes down and I've got monitoring via comtek of my mix, remote control of the record/stop, and compete and instant control over the mix. The range is not tested yet, but it would probably be acceptable for a follow vehicle.

post-3772-0-60652800-1367463619_thumb.jp

I actually have found CueMix to be very fast using the TouchOSC. You can move multiple faders just like a real mixer. Latency is low. I did a test recording/walk test with a wire on myself saying things like-- Im getting louder, softer, then pulling down the channel quickly while calling myself nasty names. I didn't hear it in the mix, so I didn't get mad.

This is a great cheap creative solution.  My only caveat is re CueMix, which I found very hard to mix on--very latent, hard to be precise.   Ok for level setting, certainly.   Let us know how it works out.

philp

That's a great idea, Todd! This would be a perfect use for a second recorder, and laptops are cheap and the interfaces are not that complex. I have used "bag and pray" several times, and also chased along with wireless, which has its problems, too. It's amazing the number of young directors who don't want to consider process work, and seem unaware of how inexpensive and affordable it can be if you have a camera crew who knows what they're doing.