MixPre-D possible mod?

soundtrane

No, not possible, as the USB function is hardwired to the monitoring output only.  What you might be able to do is route the headphone output back to the tape return and set the return to be configured as inputs 3/4, but of course you would get massive feedback loop if you ever deselected the USB return as the source, and of course in your DAW, you wouldn't be able to monitor the MixPre's input, sort of defeating the point of using it as an interface in the first place, unless you were ok muting the monitoring path during record passes... such as might be ok for separate record and playback situations.

I mean... if you mean mod by opening the unit up and doing some frankenstein wiring jumpers / switches... yes, I suppose so, but your talking about relatively intricate SMD traces your going to try to lift / tap onto and a pretty tight case to begin with.  I don't think there's going to be much room in there to add anything at all, even simple switches.

USB Pre is the device that you want to look at I think.

SPDIF wired to XLR in most cases will work with AES inputs. The only difference signal wise is the absence of a flag in the digital word and of course the impedance. If the impedance is going to be an issue, like you have to transmit the signal a long distance or worried about reflections, Canare and Neutrik make handy 75 ohm to 110 ohm transformers.

Matt, I'd rather have a professional AES out than tinker around with impedance matching xformers etc. 

If the MixPreD or the USB Pre2 could work with my computer as an interface that does the job of the Mbox, I'd be really happy. I have a device i can use in the field as a professional mixer (with 48V Ph, MS, Low Cuts etc) as well as my computer interface which gives me professional XLR3 balanced analog outs as well as an AES out which i can use with my field recorder. 

In the world as it is now, i have to get BOTH the devices to do what i want. Not the most efficient way out. just my humble opinion... 

-vin

Mr. Visser, many thanks for your explanation and assistance. I'm waiting for the Visser version of the handheld recorder... Please count me in as a prospective client. :)

Just like the Smith's lyrics "I was looking for a job and then I found a job, heaven knows I'm miserable now".  Well, not miserable, but all side projects on hold for a little bit until I get past this summer schedule of shooting.  I did make some progress since I last updated the thread, but this is not the time and place to go into that.  In the mean time, I've already drawn up PCB layouts for my next project.  For me it's easy to start things, more difficult to find the time to finish them.