Something new from Zaxcom

Jack Norflus

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="soundslikejustin" data-cid="199362" data-time="1367715699">

That is how the Neverclip iso works, but that is not the same as the Neverclip in the TX's which IS a compressor. Same name for three separate processes, I can see how it is confusing.

So if this is correct then NeverClip on a TX is nothing special - except for the dual A/D. Using a compressor to bring the signal below 0dBfs (and leaving aside for a minute that a digital signal will always be below 0) implies a constantly varying level as the compressor will only engage once the level passes a set threshold. That's as bad as or worse than a regular limiter. Why not apply a constant gain reduction?

With the addition of NeverClip to our body packs we are going to be giving 2 options to the production sound mixer on how to use the function.

Option 1: Use the soft knee compressor in the transmitter to keep the added dynamic range in the proper range for recording to a mix track. (This is how the TRX742 is set up now. Please see the Glen Trew review in Sound and picture for his comments on sound quality)

Option2: Use iso track attenuation in the transmitter to fit the entire dynamic range( about 123 db in this product) into the transmitter channel and onto the backup recorder in the transmitter. This option does not use any Limiters, compressors, companders or noise reducers. It will transmit the full 123dB dynamic range as if via a hard wire to the receiver producing an output from the receiver that can never clip.

The new transmitter versions are fully Zaxnet compatable with remote control, wireless QC audio transmission, Power Roll  TM  (Pat Pending) and internal backup recording (Patented).

The new transmitters are now in beta test and will be delivering in the next few weeks. The NeverClip TM (Pat Pending) audio structure in our transmitter is an important advancement in the art of wireless microphone audio. We will have demo units out to our US dealers soon so all can hear what it can do. Please wait to contact our dealers until our official Zaxcom product release is announced.

Glenn

Thanks for the information, Glenn. Sounds like an exciting product. I only recently aquired a couple of Zaxcom wireless channels and IFB and so far I'm very impressed.

If you have the time, Glenn, I'd be interested to know why you chose a compressor in the TX rather than a fixed gain reduction?

Option2: Use iso track attenuation in the transmitter to fit the entire dynamic range( about 123 db in this product) into the transmitter channel and onto the backup recorder in the transmitter. This option does not use any Limiters, compressors, companders or noise reducers. It will transmit the full 123dB dynamic range as if via a hard wire to the receiver producing an output from the receiver that can never clip.

Does this work for people outputting Analog from their receiver? How does the single D-A on the output handle that range?

24 bit audio has a range of 144db, so there should be no problem converting to analog.

http://wanderingear.net

Yes, but even the best D-A converters in the world don't. I realise there will still be a very low noise floor, but it seems those outputting analogue are at a disadvantage. I'd like to know what the additional processing does to system latency, too.

If the older TRX900LA can't be hardware upgraded to dual ADs, will they at least have the option to be upgraded to the Option 1 (look-ahead output limiter/compressor pre RF stage) a la TRX742?

That would be nice.

I fully understand the desire for a simple upgrade path to the new transmitters but I think it is un-realistic to think that the older transmitters could be upgraded without substantial cost. We would all love to be able to just upgrade everything we own rather than ever having to buy something new that has features and functions not even possible in an older model. Zaxcom has been amazing over the years, in my opinion, with providing the ability to upgrade, adding features and functions, often without any cost, to many of their products. We can all complain and also express the hope that we could upgrade but it is unfortunately not always possible. I would love to have been able to upgrade my Nagra III to a Nagra IV. I'm sure there were lots of people that wanted to upgrade their Sound Devices 442 to a 552 (why can't they just add recording function?). I think we all get a little jaded because so many items can be upgraded, often just a simple firmware update (and think of those things that REQUIRE an update just to correct something that is not functioning). Fortunately we also are able to understand when a new item may look very much like the old item but actually has undergone significant changes.

Bravo! This and the fader pack is what I've been waiting for all this time. The camera link is what I didn't know I was waiting for. Let me book a meeting with the bank and then.../ "Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station" (sic!)

I like the idea of neverclip on the bodypack transmitter and certainly would buy one so equipped if buying today, but quite frankly I'm not missing not having it right now.  With a fully digital mix buss, I can run the transmitters at a somewhat lower level and not have a detectable noise floor to worry about pushing against.  I probably keep my RMS levels around -24dBfs or so on the Tx and use +12dB fader gain to get my mixes up to daily / mix friendly levels.  With that amount of headroom, I don't actually recall an instance where I clipped the ISOs, unless my Tx gain was too high to begin with, thanks to Zaxnet remote control for the ability to dial it in on the fly.  I see a few people unloading their transmitters now in expectation of new ones arriving - I think I'll stick with what I got for the time being and see what the future holds.

I take your point Jeff. I was hoping that, as the transmitter is comprised of 3 boards, the RF, power and audio boards, it would be as simple as swapping out the audio board. But then, I only use them, I don't design them, or understand how to design them.