Atlanta Sound Mixer Weekend! Saturday BBQ & Sunday Event!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good. I will get the word out when we get a little closer and make a special online meeting to service the event. We will be able to have a total of 25 participants (so, 24 of us who aren't there and your connection being the one to the event). Whatever laptop/webcam setup you use, after signing in I guess you'll just position it so that we see as much of the event as possible --- people will be able to walk up to it as well if they want to address the rest of the online group.

Looking forward to it (and it's just a half-day drive from my house)!

The timing is very good, as Gary Vahling -- formerly our Los Angeles Rental Manager, now our company CTO (Chief Technology Officer) -- and I have just completed a trip to Europe that included visits to the Munich companies Ambient Recording and Opticore. Ambient now has ready some new timecode sync capabilities that can reduce the workload on the sound department. Opticore is a very sophisticated audio networking interface that uses fiber optic cable. Gary is an expert with Dante and Opticore, and will be present to show and explain them both.

I'll have some key Remote Audio products there, too, for those who may not have been able to see them in person.

There is also a free upgrade circuit to the Meon LiFe power supply (more on that in another post), whIch I plan to install for Meon LiFe owners in Atlanta during my visit (Saturday or Monday... TBD soon).

Glen Trew

http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=180

Soundcraft themselves do not recommend this board for broadcasting or mixing/recording. I wonder why. Noisy preamps?

I asked that question when I had the demo for the Soundcraft Si-Expression 16 and I didn't really get an answer. I told them that on their website RECORDING is not one of the suggested uses for this board which is touted as a LIVE console. The engineer that I spoke to thought that it was probably just a marketing mis-step on the website and confirmed that the board is being used in all sorts of recording situations.

As for the speculation about the quality of the preamps --- remember what I am always pointing out to so many of our people when they start to fret about the mic preamps: if you're all wireless, even for the booms, the preamp you need to be concerned about isn't in the mixing panel, it is in the wireless transmitter. Going LINE IN, almost any preamp design will be sufficient.

" Noisy preamps? "

probably not...

the suggested uses probably is more about the features the series does, or does not include.

I would also guess that their designations of broadcast and mixing/recording usage probably differ from our production sound typical thinking

Eric... Lol, and groan too!

This is really sounding like a fun day.

Are we all set with PA gear? I know we are probably awash in gear, but if loudspeakers are needed, I have some LOUD powered Behringers I could bring.

Please note the time has moved to a 10:30am Doors Opening!

Schedule of Events 

10a Load-in (Manufactures / Vendors) 
10:30a Doors Open to Public
11a-11:15a Opening Keynote by Whit Norris
11:15a-12p Sound Devices w/ Jesse Parker
12p-12:30p K-Tek w/ Dave Fisk
12:30p-1:00p Lectrosonics w/ Gordon Moore
1:00p-1:30p Redding Audio via Christina of Gotham
1:30p-2:00p Remote Audio w/ Glen Trew
2:00p-2:30p Zaxcom w/ Colleen Goodsir
2:30p-3p Greg Crawford Presents: “A Note From Post to Sound”
3p-5p Breakout Sessions with Manufacturers & Vendor Displays
5p Door Prizes!

Zuffy's will be serving up food and snacks, funding provided by the Manufacturers and Vendors. Thanks guys!!!

(Soft Drinks & Tea provided, but you buy your own Beers and Booze!)

For everyone coming in from out of town and our Atlanta sound community, Kathy and I will have a cook out Saturday late afternoon/early evening (Some Southern Hospitality) please feel free to come by have a bite and drink stay if you like or go out and enjoy the Atlanta night life. I can promise some great Bar-B-Q, ribs, and banana pudding, and my famous baked Vidalia onions and a few more treats. I'm sure Jan will have a great dish to add also.

Kathy and I are looking forward to everyone joining us in the ATL! 

Thanks Chris for getting the ball rolling on this event and weekend!

Cheers,

Whit

That sounds wonderful Jan! Like the lime! Maybe we should try some cornbread. I have the cast iron skillets and have not made any in a while. I am cheating and getting the ribs and banana pudding from Dreamland an iconic Alabama rib joint and the Bar-B-Q (pulled pork) will come from Pig n Chick. I want to be a little more social and not slave over the grill all afternoon. You will love the onions. Most of our members here do not know what Vidalia onions are. They are only grown in south GA and are a sweet white onion. Anyone have any other ideas for the menu?

I'm getting hungry writing about this...

Whit

You will love the onions. Most of our members here do not know what Vidalia onions are. They are only grown in south GA and are a sweet white onion.

They are the best white onions in the USA. The best red onions come from Tejas IMO. 

Sounds like a great weekend. Send pix.

CrewC

Pics for onions please.. :)

Vasileios,

I will even give you the recipe.... it is so simple and you can use any sweet onion but I am a southerner and our onions from south GA are the best, we our a little proud down here.

You take whatever sweet onion you like and peel the skin away and core the center then you use a beef bullion cube mashed up with butter and put that in the center of your core. Use lots of butter on the outside of the onion, wrapped in foil. Bake at 325 - 375 for an hour or more. It depends on the size of the onion. It should be soft to push when done. Serve in a bowl. It is almost like a french onion soup without the cheese. Being Greek you may want to add some garlic... that sounds good. A great appetizer. 

Whit

" what Vidalia onions are.  "

they are quite the treat,  ::)  a lot like (also) world famous Maui Onions..

ya' know, Whit,  if the Sound for movies thing doesn't work out,  you can always look into catering...

Not sure about the catering... that is harder than sound to make people happy! I'm going to try the sound thing for a few more years.. it may work out.

Whit