Another New Kid

bcopenhagen

Sonosax finally announced the imminent release of their SX-R4, an 8-channel HD + CF recorder that rivals the 744T in size.

More info here:

http://www.sonosax.ch/index2.html

(click on the SX-R4)

I was patiently awaiting this for more than 6 months, and finally went for a 744 when no news was forthcoming, and release dates were pushed back and back.  The specs read well.  I'll be intereseted to see + hear the real thing.

From their press release:

SONOSAX SX-R4 PRICING INFORMATION

The eagerly awaited SONOSAX SX-R4 Recorder is to be launched within next few weeks. The development of the SX-

R4 was also a big challenge for the entire SONOSAX team - putting together all the required features in a such small and

lightweight format, lowering the power consumption as much as possible and yet keeping all of the legendary 

SONOSAX  qualities of reliability and sonic performance was not an easy task !

The price of the SONOSAX SX-R4 starts at CHF 5'850.00 ( EUR 3'650.00  /  USD 5'570.00 ). Additional pricing

information for the options and accessories will follow shortly.

-Brian

any exact data on when this is coming out?  cause i was going for a 744T for a doc next month, but this looks very promising...

I received the press release on March 7, in which they stated "launched within next few weeks".  Perhaps some of our vendor members may have more info on when we can expect to see units arrive (at least in the U.S.)

Brian

so how do you control the unbalanced line inputs 5 & 6, another mixer?

Heh, funny, same question on the Nagra VI thread...

I'm guessing it'll be about as flexible as 3 & 4 on the 744T:  menu based gain setting, set and forget.

Seems like it would be an easy solution to go out of a Mix-pre or 302 into chs 5 & 6, and still have 4 mic pres with gain ctrls on the SX-R4.

I notice that the D Dub connector has a pin for "World Clock". 

It is swiss-made after all.  They're famous for their timekeepers.  But seriously, I think this allows you to sample-lock the earth's rotation to the timecode and AD converters on your SX-R4.

:)

Brian