DIY- Right Angle XLRs

jason porter

I finally had a chance to whip up a couple prototypes!

One is a low profile female XLR-3 and the other is a low-profile XLR-5 (for a Zaxcom Stereo Receiver)

The XLR-3 just needs some type of "cap" to protect it from the elements.  The XLR-5, I used Sugru and really cocked-up the finish.  I need to find or make a proper cap, maybe from a plastic end cap of some type.

post-133-0-85625400-1368064996_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-20813700-1368065018_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-73538300-1368065225_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-54482700-1368065233_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-79270300-1368065241_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-75858300-1368065253_thumb.jpg

I used plastic end caps that fit perfectly into the body of the connector and cap top was larger diameter and went to the edges of the connector body surface. I found the caps at a hardware store but unfortunately I can't remember what they are actually designed for (so I can't tell you where to look!).

First, I cut the solder cups down so they are flush with the rest of the connector, this creates enough space to "work". Then I solder the wires (Belden 1804A) being sure to add insulation to the ground wire so it doesn't short the other connections IF it touches one. Then I insert the connector into the metal housing, then feed the thin Belden through the hole I drilled. If you keep enough wire inside the connector shell, it 'jams' up against the sides, creating its own strain relief. I will probably add a tiny ziptie for added strength.

I also make a small 1/8" threaded hole/set screw to hold the plastic connector insert in place.

I made some up a while ago and used the plastic end caps Jeff described. Take a connector to a good hardware store and you should be able to located them. How did you solder the wires with a hole in the side? I had to make a slot to get mine to work.

The 5pin version does have one of these plastic end caps on it, with some Sugru. I just didn't like the fit, maybe I can find something better sized.

I am trying to find a metal or PVC cap that I can add a few set screws to hold in place instead.

I used plastic end caps that fit perfectly into the body of the connector and cap top was larger diameter and went to the edges of the connector body surface. I found the caps at a hardware store but unfortunately I can't remember what they are actually designed for (so I can't tell you where to look!).

I spent about 10-15 mins (max) to modify the xlr-3, with the addition of a simple end cap, I don't see why one wouldn't manufacture it and sell it for a reasonable cost.

I could make these for $20-25 each plus whatever the end cap solution ends up being.

Is this too esoteric for a third party manufacture that would be cost effective?

Good job making your own, I love the DIY spirit.

I wish there were more affordable options for low profile XLR connectors already on the market and easily available for us. Vin, the look excellent, I just hope they are not $35 a piece like Kortwich connectors. That's simply an absurd price for an XLR connector in my opinion.

Caps that are meant for the bottoms of chair or table legs (to protect your floor from scratches) might be a good thing to try.

Mike

Yup... This was the first thought that raced through my mind as well. -- Or a large rubber vacuum line cap (think automotive parts) 

• 4 weeks later...

I also used the plastic caps to fill table holes with. The zip tie is brilliant, wish I thought of that with mine.

Yes... this is what I do with the K-Tek low profile.... along with adding the jacket from a larger cable to it.  Helps a lot.  Avoid CA glue as I see a lot of places use, as it makes the jacket completely brittle and fractures quickly.  Shoe Goo is amazing stuff.

What's the benefit of making these vs. buying right angle nuetrik connectors? 

I guess I'm not seeing it here. 

Put a right angle Neutrik connector on a RX in your bag and you'll find out instantly that there is not enough room for that massive connector. Use something like these and they are nice and small and don't interfere at all with what's going on in your bag. 

I was digging around the Neutrik site last night and came across these: http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/accessories/modules/

Male and female ends with a M17x1 thread on the back, haven't seen one in person, but it looks like it could be a step towards an easy fabricated solution. Now someone just needs to whip up a threaded end with strain relief, probably will still be a bit bigger than the diy solutions but not by too much