DIY- Right Angle XLRs

jason porter

Those look great jack!

They seem to have more room in them to work. I just got a roll of mini star quad.. Gonna make a few ta5s with that and see how it goes.

The REAN TA5 connectors have more 'attractive' surface to work with, as the screw thread is on the inside, unlike the Switchcraft where you would have to remove the screw threads to have a cleaner final product, making the whole thing shorter.

Nice work, Jack.

• 1 month later...

Eric, thanks for the kind comments.. I wanted to TA3 connectors for my 788T, but timing didn't allow me and the lack of parts. I'm hoping to get the Rean connectors (as I could only get the normal ones) as they seems to allow more space, than the "normal" connector... Honestly, this was a "project" I've been eyeing to do for months,... and finally had a long weekend to allow me to do it,... and those "Lego Sound Carts" just for laughs... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for sharing!

Here's my first attempt at a right-angled TA-3.

I made this cable for use with the 664 Comm Send.

I cut a slot for the cable in the Rean TA-3 connector. For a cap, I used the original boot, but cut off the rubber part, then cut the top part of the plastic off and sanded it a little to make it smooth. Then also sanded down the threaded part to only a few millimeters, leaving just enough to screw it back on to hold everything in place. Then hot glue through the top of the cap. At first I left it there and simply finished with a small round sticker, similar to the ones SD supplies with their mixers and was happy with that (I forgot to take any pictures of it at that point), but then of course I wrapped the whole connector in heat shrink tubing.... haha, yeah it wrinkled up because of the angle and won't win any beauty contests, but I like the added sturdiness.

post-2760-0-36853800-1392834764_thumb.jp

post-2760-0-87029100-1392834785_thumb.jp

post-2760-0-81306700-1392834867_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

My first attempt at a TA3, looks better than i thought it would, could do this as a TA5 as well as the cable is starquad.

now just need to work out what we going to do with the back section and colour coding if we're going to sell these in the UK 1978728_513526548756662_1058776156_n.jpg

• 1 month later...