DIY- Right Angle XLRs

jason porter

Go with color Matt. Get different colors of nail polish and have fun. Low profile/stealth doesn't work in keeping you employed. I have some extra "Bikini Bottom Blue" if you'd like to spice up your cables. Here's the two tone version.

Eric

I'm with Eric here colour is best, and good idea on the heat shrink tube, thx

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried to make low profile TA3 ( Switchcraft) connectors. But after every time it's super hard to get it out of the 788. So I have almost giving up. I don't know what's happening, but something are going wrong at the gluing moment. One time the glue got through the connector... So I might been using the wrong glue...

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

I have tried to make low profile TA3 ( Switchcraft) connectors. But after every time it's super hard to get it out of the 788. So I have almost giving up. I don't know what's happening, but something are going wrong at the gluing moment. One time the glue got through the connector... So I might been using the wrong glue...

Instead of an epoxy type glue try using a hot glue gun that heats & melts the glue stick

through a small opening in the gun. It lets you accurately deposit where the glue goes

inside the connector. One advantage of the hot glue is that by reheating the connector with aheat gun you can remove the pin block if required.

Eric

post-22-0-29549500-1399812991_thumb.jpg

Ok, I might try that. I bought a low profile Kortwich snake that I've been modifying the other end of. But I guess I can make other cables just for training, so I don't fuck up when it it matters.

So solder, put that little plastic piece in, on with the connector and just glue?

I had a thought that I first wanted to just glue a little to make like a "lid" (to spare the glue from coming into the small holes. But somehow it's still hopelessly tight to plug in/out of devices.

When I looked closer to a non glued TA3 connector, I can see that there is a little tiny movement. Witch would make sense to help the connect/disconnect maneuver.

When glued, even though I can push the little black knob. It's almost impossible to get it out...

I hope make any sense (regarding my english)

• 3 weeks later...

Go with color Matt. Get different colors of nail polish and have fun. Low profile/stealth doesn't work in keeping you employed. I have some extra "Bikini Bottom Blue" if you'd like to spice up your cables. Here's the two tone version.

Eric

Close enough? :D

post-8149-0-42072100-1401205328_thumb.jp

Hello- Just thought I would chime in real quick with a +1 for Radlauer's custom XLR cables. I ordered some online before viewing this thread. I had him make them to different lengths so they all line up correctly coming out of my MAXX (terminating on the tight side). Ive had them for a a month or two and everything is working perfectly - really helped me clean up my bag. Thanks again!

Bill and Eric,

Thanks for the info on the Techflex.

I guess as a separate question, where can I get cloth covered cable to use as a short connecting cable between a boom pole and a mic? I have not been able to find that type of cable. Thanks.

Depending on the cable diameter, you may be able to use something like paracord.