DIY- Right Angle XLRs

jason porter

I've given up on techflex. It looks nice at first but some day it will get nicked and start fraying, keep fraying, then look like shit and you'll have to do surgery to remove it all.

For me the benefits don't outweigh this problem.

Maybe I'm missing something in the construction..

What I'm trying now is to use Loctite super glue on techflex and cable before slipping the shrink tube and heating.

I also try not to put the techflex under too much ''tension'' on the cable before tying both ends with shrink tube; I leave it relatively loose.

I'll see with time if it's worth it...

great for alexa TC! the factory right angles only go 1 way (down from red dot i believe), which puts the cable out in an awkward direction for that camera. probably the same problem in different angles for other applications. by the looks of yours you might be able to output cable any direction as i had originally wanted to? i always wanted to try this but too scared to F up an expensive connector. great work as always!

-Ken

Pretty sure the Lemos pictured in SeeKai's post are 6 pin connectors as used on Audio Ltd. radio mics or possibly the older 8 pins used on some Micron gear. They're way out of scale to the pictured XLRs to be 5 pin Lemos.

Just one geezer's opinion,

Jim

I believe the first right angle threaded 3.5 plug...

my first use of glue gun. not pretty.

10422939_10205806834189953_7534058894790

Not the first! Kortwich have been doing them for a good long while (they generally think of everything first).

I've also been doing 'em for a wee while. I did these for a buddy last year:

Sorry, Andre's looks like the Neutrik ones.

And your quote was supposed to include your pictures.

The locking TRS connectors are brand called "pro signal" although I believe they may be non OEM parts that are sold by a few different brands under their own names.

Remote Audio do a locking 3.5 jack if you're more comfortable with a recognisable brand name.

Switchcraft make a superb locking jack connector, which is by far my favourite - part number is 35HDLNAU.  They are just excellent quality, but are priced accordingly.

Hopefully that helps - none of them are manufactured "low profile", these are modifications that members here have done themselves.

I checked reans site and did not see locking 3.5mm connector. Can you post link?

Sorry Glen my bad - remote audio do the locking jack not rean.  The shell has very similar markings to that of a rean plug - you can by remote audio plugs and switchcraft ones at Trew, Toronto.

The Switchcraft locking 3.5mm do look nice. How do they have better performance? They are expensive! Some Lemos are cheaper!

I'm going back to all Switchcraft for TA connectors. Can't beat them. If Rean wasn't so flimsy I would be more interested. Maybe I got a bad batch.. They often get stuck in the jack. For example I made an output cable recently for a Lectro SR and it wouldn't come out! Had to completely unscrew the boot to get it off. The latch sucks.. Sponge loaded! LOL.

That said I wish Switchcraft made a version of the TA that could crimp a large cable easier.

The Switchcraft locking 3.5mm do look nice. How do they have better performance? They are expensive! Some Lemos are cheaper!

I'm going back to all Switchcraft for TA connectors. Can't beat them. If Rean wasn't so flimsy I would be more interested. Maybe I got a bad batch.. They often get stuck in the jack. For example I made an output cable recently for a Lectro SR and it wouldn't come out! Had to completely unscrew the boot to get it off. The latch sucks.. Sponge loaded! LOL.

That said I wish Switchcraft made a version of the TA that could crimp a large cable easier.

Hi Derek,

"Better performance" refers to a few things:

- the higher quality of the moving parts.

- the connector locking ring doesn't loosen by itself, it's a good tight lock.

- the connector shell doesn't twist easily once tightened and doesn't require any additional heatshrink to keep it from being loosened accidentally when unplugging a mic (those with experience of the remote audio connectors will understand this).

- it's considerably more rugged than any other locking TRS plug out there.

So I mean physical performance as a connector rather than anything audio-wise.

I agree with your sentiments re: switchcraft TA3.   Most of my customers prefer Rean so I use those on a lot of cables but my personal choice is always switchcraft.  My least favourite thing about the reans is the attachment for connecting the shield to the shell.  I don't feel that it makes for a smooth assembly unless your cable stock has a separate drain wire.

BTW if you are unsatisfied with the strength of the crimp inside your TA3 then a good quality piece of adhesive lined heatshrink over the cable boot and cable jacket can help ruggedise your assembly.

Redco's TAs are not made by Switchcraft. Also, I think the two different sizes refers to the hole in the boot / stain relief only. The size of the crimping jaws are the same as far as I know.

Derek

The Redco information page was an easy way to show the details quickly, thats all. I only use the larger cable size myself so I cannot comment if the crimping jaws are different.

Mark

Only the opening changes; all the internal parts are exactly the same, including the crimp part.

And you can also buy only the ''small cable'' ones since you can easily make them ''large cable'' by pushing the booth-tail Inside (it snaps in and divides, giving you the same ''large cable'' assembly you would buy otherwise). Options.

• 1 month later...

great for alexa TC! the factory right angles only go 1 way (down from red dot i believe), which puts the cable out in an awkward direction for that camera. probably the same problem in different angles for other applications. by the looks of yours you might be able to output cable any direction as i had originally wanted to? i always wanted to try this but too scared to F up an expensive connector. great work as always!

-Ken

these are for TC:

post-8149-0-44746500-1425397345_thumb.jp

post-8149-0-44746500-1425397345_thumb.jp

these are for TC:

That's what i'm talkin about! Beautiful. I cant possibly compete with your great work. Always amazed. I am a huge fan of the art of great looking cables as well as technical aspects. If i understand correctly based on earlier posts from you, you've only been making all these various connectors and cables a short time? Hats off to you.

-Ken

• 3 months later...

[now posting in the correct section - I'm daft]

Locking TRS mod - thought I'd post it here rather than start a new section.

post-8149-0-76550800-1403274644_thumb.jp

post-8149-0-51851400-1403274708_thumb.jp

This looks fantastic. I'm still looking for the epoxid but i can't find it. And what form do you use for the caps? I'm looking for a long time for the right epoxid but here i don't get it. could you tell the name of it. The secruity for the cabel looks really good. I like the best. And which nice colored cabel are you using? Would be great to hear from you.