DIY- Right Angle XLRs

jason porter

3 hours ago, Sebastian said:

What types of miniature mic cables are people using for their right angles cable assemblies (particularly going into the TA5F connectors)? I guess the thinnest and most flexible the better. Canare L-2E5 seems to be popular but it looks like Mogami make a really thin version too (model number unknown). The colour braiding is really popular so I guess the 2.5mm cable would be the best OD if that is to be used. What say the collective?  

Mogami W3031 (braided copper shield) and Redco TGS-1

I get both for Redco Audio 

Mark

6 minutes ago, mark kirchner said:

Mogami W3031 (braided copper shield) and Redco TGS-1

I get both for Redco Audio 

Mark

Thanks Mark. I've found a UK supplier for the Mogami W2697 which is identical to the W3031 without the braided shield variation but would have preferred the W3031. I don't think I can get the Redco TGS-1 in UK.

• 2 months later...

I just finished my new prototype XLR right angle connector. The end cap is made of anodized aluminum (shielding aspect). The output is 360 ° selectable. The connector can be easily opened and repaired at any time. Currently I have the cap only in black.

low profile XLR right angle.jpg

I have created a small Assembly Instructions video with my mobile. https://youtu.be/3qlnrCjtbfU

New Low Profile XLR serviceable.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2017 at 7:55 AM, OPS said:

I just finished my new prototype XLR right angle connector. The end cap is made of anodized aluminum (shielding aspect). The output is 360 ° selectable. The connector can be easily opened and repaired at any time. Currently I have the cap only in black.

low profile XLR right angle.jpg

I have created a small Assembly Instructions video with my mobile. https://youtu.be/3qlnrCjtbfU

New Low Profile XLR serviceable.jpg

abcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabc

Just received my order today.

Thank you Oliver, they are truly amazing. Look forward to making up some cables with them. 

Cheers Nate.

7 hours ago, Nate C said:

I am very pleased that you liked the connectors.

Please note that you do not to tighten the grub screws  when assembling. The threads are short and can over-turn with too much force.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I've decided to give it anther go to build a low profile XLR cable for my bag but before I went any further, I wanted to try out the epoxy process on a connector, which I attempt three times already. I did a 1:1 ratio and added a drop of acrylic blue paint but so far nothing good. it's been sticky/tacky for 3 days now and I'm in a warm environment which is recommended for the healing process. Any recommendations on what I'm doing wrong? 

image.jpeg

One thing comes to mind.  Two actually.  Not enough hardener and/or old epoxyI have had this result with both of these situations.  If not either of these, I don't know another reason.  This is the brand I use and it works well:

https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-Epoxy-4-25-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B005K091ZU/ref=zg_bs_256244011_29?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N5JMEJ4M94FFNK9NE7Q4

Plastic model paint (like Testors) makes a great color additive.

D.

On September 10, 2017 at 0:40 PM, tourtelot said:

One thing comes to mind.  Two actually.  Not enough hardener and/or old epoxyI have had this result with both of these situations.  If not either of these, I don't know another reason.  This is the brand I use and it works well:

https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-Epoxy-4-25-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B005K091ZU/ref=zg_bs_256244011_29?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N5JMEJ4M94FFNK9NE7Q4

Plastic model paint (like Testors) makes a great color additive.

D.

Thanks for the advice D. I'll see if I can get my hands on some Teators paint soon.

Yhe expoy should be good, I just bought gallon of resin and hardener about three weeks ago but it was for my kitchen counter and island, which worked amazingly. I'll give it another go with some testor paint and more hardener! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 9:09 PM, 100sideprojects said:

So many good ideas on The Right Angle XLR here.

This would be my interpretation!

I've shown this pic in another topic, but I think it applies here as well.

IMG_7277.JPG

wow. these are unbelievable. who would ever think cables could be a work of art... i would hang these on a wall for sure

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just trowing this in here, I think they are fairly new, but just for 4.05 USD these are about the same price as a normal XLR connector. Didn't see it pop up here on the forum before:

http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=1200
https://proaudio.com/catalog/switchcraft-low-profile-right-angle-male-xlr-black.asp

switchcraft_aaabulletin.jpgaaa3fblp.png

These are the "Conxall" Korean-made, economy brand owned by Switchcraft. I have some on order to check them out. Not as well made as Swtchcraft...sort of an equivalent to the Rean economy brand of Neutrik. The most robust ones I know of are the Remote Audio brand, but if these compare favorably with their low price, I'll switch in a heartbeat! We'll see soon...