DIY- Right Angle XLRs

jason porter

Samples are on there way to me. The "AAA" part numbers are all from the Switchcraft's Korean brand Conxall. This brand also makes economy versions of straight XLR connectors. I'm told that while they are lower quality, the straight XLR connectors are suitable for permanent installations where there is no trauma and nothing moves, which is the opposite of how the work of location sound mixers would be described! But I'm holding out judgement until I get some to evaluate.

Here is my take.  I bought some of these connectors last year.  I have yet to put them into service.  Definitely not up to Neutrik standards.  The plastic parts are thin, I am able to squeeze the thread collar between two fingers easily.  The smaller yellow part seen in the photos has notches so you can index the direction you want the cable to exit from.  There is not a strain relief or locking mechanism of any kind.  A cable tie will be needed.  The black body is made from two cast pieces and welded/soldered together.  May be done while the metal is still hot.  Solder pockets feel and look cheap compared to Neutrik.  Two additional bits, the cable hole is 5mm in diameter and the weight of the connector is 1oz/30gms.

Time will tell as to the fitment and usage in the field.

They may be ok.

YMMV

David

SW4.jpg

SW3.jpg

SW2.jpg

SW1.jpg

Here is some info and comparison photo of the new Conxall (Switchcraft's Korean made economy brand)...

Conxall is Switchcraft's economy brand, made in South Korea. These Switchcraft part numbers all begin with AAA. They have both straight (regular) and low-profile (right angle) types. The right angle type are of interest here because of how compact we work, especially when working with a bag.

The Conxall brand: Right angle (low profile) type are plastic from half way up the body to the back where the cable exits. This means no shielding around the solder connections, which could be a problem for in induction into mic-level signals, particularly on the mic end of a boom pole. Has has a cool system for indexing (the angle at which the cable exits), which gives almost limitless angle possibilities. Can be re-indexed. Serviceable. The strain relief system is not bad if the proper diameter cable is used. Predicted to eventually have optional colored backs for color coding. Changing the color code will require re-soldering. Male version slightly taller than the Remote Audio brand. Best feature: Inexpensive.

The Remote Audio brand: All metal brass shell construction for complete shielding. Very strong (will not be bent oblong). Lowest profile. Female uses standard Switchcraft contacts insert for ultimate grounding to the shell. Color coded with buttons, easily changed. Completely serviceable and re-indexable. Has four index positions. More expensive.

The photo below shows the Conxall brand on the left and right. The Remote Audio connectors are the two in the middle with colored buttons.

loprofileXLR.jpg

13 hours ago, Derek H said:

Glen,  could you describe the mechanism of strain relief on both units. That’s really my main concern for durability. 

For what it’s worth, standard Neutrik or USA Switchcraft XLRs don’t have full metal shielding around the cable exit either. 

The right angle exit atomically gives some degree of strain relief...not that it's sufficient, but it does mean that an actual strain relief doesn't have to be as strong as one with a straight exit. Beyond that, the Conxall/Switcraft strain relief occurs by the cap squeezing against the wire when it's tightened; there is a ridge inside the cap for this purpose. When the wire is within certain diameters, it should be very effective. With the Remote Audio connectors, in addition to being a 90-degree exit, the strain relief is the metal end cap squeezing against the sides of the cable where it exits, which also requires the wire to be of sufficient diameter. If purchased with a cable assembly, a miniature zip tie is also used on the inside to further prevent any pull against the conductors -- very effective.

It's true that the commonly used Neutrik and Switchcraft XLRs don't fully enclose the back of the connector with metal shielding, but they still give more than the shaved down right angle modifications with plastic cap. With line level signals this is of no concern. With mic level signals it can be a factor, particularly on the end of a boom pole, and particularly when a digital transmitter is mounted at the mic end of a pole.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...