DIY- Right Angle XLRs

jason porter

thank you SeeKai for inspiring my right angle xlr/bnc cable. the pic shows my personal evolution from right angles available in the big box audio market. the smaller size seems to be agreeable

Ken

Nice looking work Ken!  

Do they come in orange though :P?

post-8149-0-79792600-1413012264_thumb.jp

Nice looking work Ken!

Do they come in orange though :P?

Your innovation is never ending - You're getting them all so small you will need a pair of needlenose in your kit just to plug in! Funny I have orange techflex standing by to make some cables that match my petrol. I agree with eric toline everything is better in color

Ken

• 3 months later...

No need for epoxy, hot glue or Surgu with the use of 19mm rubber chair tips. Cut a slit in the tip to allow the cable through. The ribbing on the tips locks firmly with the thread inside the neutrik connector and can be pried off with a screwdriver if repairs are required. This particular cable was made up for QRX to Maxx. 

post-2000-0-70444600-1421803729_thumb.jp

Here's my version of these.

No glue mess, Mogami lav-sized balanced cable with braid shield. 13/16" diameter metal hole caps, perfect fit for Neutrik XX series shells. Bend the prongs out a bit for a good grab and they just snap right in, or out, for repair.

Strain relief provided by small zip tie and extra length on indivual conductors. Not perfect strain releif but has been going strong for over a year now. Used only inside my bag.

Works for me, looks good, and the only mod from standard parts assembly is a small hole to drill and a spot of super glue on the pin housing to keep it in place. Pretty easy to make. I also like that the cap is metal for theoretically better RFI immunity. post-821-0-22216400-1421859030_thumb.jpgpost-821-0-26631300-1421859036_thumb.jpg

I believe the first right angle threaded 3.5 plug...

my first use of glue gun. not pretty.

Not the first!  Kortwich have been doing them for a good long while (they generally think of everything first).

I've also been doing 'em for a wee while.  I did these for a buddy last year:

post-8149-0-77592800-1422242823_thumb.jp

post-8149-0-67417100-1422242878_thumb.jp

great for alexa TC! the factory right angles only go 1 way (down from red dot i believe), which puts the cable out in an awkward direction for that camera. probably the same problem in different angles for other applications. by the looks of yours you might be able to output cable any direction as i had originally wanted to? i always wanted to try this but too scared to F up an expensive connector. great work as always!

-Ken