Thoughts on 702 or USBPre -> Tascam DR-680

Andreascmontano

I'm looking to build it a low cost field setup for sfx recording and was wondering if anyone had experience with the dr-680s recording at 192khz through a USBPre?

Or, is that recorder not reliable for good enough and should be replaced by a 702 or 722?

----------

If someone has a used 702 or 722 FS I would be interested in buying. I am located in Seattle.

One project I am gearing for is pitch shifting recorded whale song, hence the 192khz record rate.

The dr-680 should be fine, plus you've got more pre-amps to play with if you need to. You don't need TC and a respectable post production friend assessed files we recorded on my (bussman moded) 680 and his 744t and couldn't hear a difference. We played around with Dpa 4060s, Soundman binaurals and a very nice Neumann RSM 190. 

dan.

I wasn't surprised by the value, but I was definitely impressed when I got mine. I run a 302 into two inputs and use the other inputs as lines from radios, if at all. The internal battery indicator is a classic three bar symbol, and the only time it flashes up low battery is when you press the button to begin recording, so I run it from my NP1 shoe along with my 302. One 73Wh will last a good 12 hour day with quite a bit to spare. Sticking a DC plug onto a Hirose cable was easy (as is making a hirose to DC cable from scratch).

I don't use the mic amps, but the lines produce no more noise than my 302. As for its durability, it's lasted me for 18 months with no problems, but then it's always stayed in the bag. I've not used it in humid conditions, so I have no idea about its tolerance to humidity. I'd suspect it would be less tolerant than a 744, say, but I really couldn't answer that.

I'll only upgrade if I need more tracks, more output flexibility or timecode capability. I'm much more likely to upgrade my mixer to a 442 or 552 before I upgrade the recorder. Speaking of output flexibility, you have six RCA outs - three stereo pairs or direct outs for the six tracks. Somewhat useful, but a pain if you want to send different mixes to different sources, although a return mixer could solve that quite easily. I just run a stereo mix from pair one into my 302 return.

Since it's digital output routing it'd be nice if there was a software update that allowed more monitor busses, or even just two additional mono auxes from a couple of the outputs. That feature alone would make me not want to upgrade for quite some time, provided timecode wasn't needed needed and six tracks were enough.

Thanks for all the great info.

I was going to try and pick up a used 702 or 722, but the USBPre 2 -> DR-680 sounds like it may be a winner.

I'm very good with my gear so the plastic build should be good in a good bag with some light reinforcing for the panels.

However, if anyone on the board is willing to sell a 702 or 722, as well as an MKH 416p, I would be happy to pick it up.

I ran the Tascam DR-680 In the Amazonian Rain Forest. Worked like a champ. 

I also used the DR-40 in the rainforest, I ended up forgetting it on the side of a hill while I was recording ambiences. When I came back the next morning, It was still recording! 

I should mention that the USBPre    will not work as a standalone preamp. It's designed as an interface with preamps, rather than just a preamp, and it has to be bus powered. However, the pretty similar MixPre-D is designed as a small mixer. The MixPre-D is the little brother of the SD mixer family, and will work with the DR-680 like any other mixer. The price point is pretty much the same as well. The AES outputs will only go to 96kHz though, but the DR-680 will go to 192kHz with two tracks, or 96kHz with all six (/eight with digital inputs). In addition I believe the MixPre-D also doubles as a 2x2 interface.    will work fine with the 680.

Also, any bag that can fit a 442/SQN 4s will fit the 680, although you might have to add some foam padding beneath the MixPre because it's less tall. The Petrol 607 won't fit the 680.

I should mention that the USBPre will not work as a standalone preamp.

Sure it will.  Feed it 5v USB power, configure it using the DIP switches and send the audio out the line outs.

As convenient in the field as a MixPreD?  Not really, but still a very solid piece in stand alone mode.