Lectro compatibility modes - 200 vs 400?

joshneal

Hello all, wondering if anyone could offer me some insight on this topic.  So Im gearing up a reality show at the moment and we are building out two 788 bags which will ideally work interchangably with any of the transmitters (lavs for cast) in play.  The A bag has 2 SRb RXs in dual mode on block 21.  Now, the B bag has 3 211s & 1 401 on block 21.  There may be well over 4 transmitters in play for block 21 so I would like for any RX to be able to receive any TX without needing to pair one transmitter to one unique receiver.  In order to do this with the gear I have available to me I will need to switch everything to 200 series compatibility mode so that the 211s in the B bag can receive any of the transmitters in play - which will all be either UM400a or SMQVs.

So my question is - will running everything in 200 mode present any significant disadvantage in terms of:

1) Range?

2) Intermodulation?

3) Audio Quality?

As of now the above gear is what I have to work with.  I am trying to push for our production to rent some additional 411s from an alternate rental house for the B bag so we can keep everything in 400 series mode.  However if that doesn't happen, does anyone have any insight regarding this setup?

Thanks

Josh

Having not used the compatibility modes, I can't speak with any authority of experience. However, there's a thread from the not too distant past that addressed some reported issues. It's my understanding that Lectro, being the excellent company that they are, is looking into those.

You may want to seek out that thread, and it may also be advised to talk to Lectrosonics directly.

" any significant disadvantage "

hmmm...

the digital hybrid mode is the best audio quality of the options, but as I frequently ask, can you tell the difference when you listen  to them ??  noting what John and Jesse said, you might want to do your own comparison and testing of the SR RX in 200 mode.

range and inter-modulation are pretty much the same across the modes.

"On paper" you will get less range and audio quality in 200 mode vs 400 mode.  Now in your set up and shoot, if those differences will be noticeable, who knows?? Also your IM risks should be the same in both modes. But you should have no problems running everything in 200 Mode.  

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm on day two of this setup, running all my block 21 components in 200 mode. The results I experienced were mixed. In terms of audio quality, I do hear a difference, albeit marginal - but I'm not concerned about this being of much consequence to the show. I doubt anyone else would notice. In terms of range and intermodulation, the results were basically consistent with 400 mode/411 RXs. The biggest issue I am encountering are the way the RF hits/dropouts sound. When I get a signal dropout, I get hit with a very loud static crackle that I never experienced with 411 RXs. The 411s do a much better job with dropouts, only resulting in mild pops that are far less likely to be noticeable/ pollute other open mics on the same track for the stereo mix. I'm trying out a different freq today for the main TX I was having problems with, but if this problem persists I'm going to push harder for acquiring 411 RXs. Anyone have any thoughts on anything that might help to eliminate some of that nasty static "chhhh chhhh" sound from dropouts/hits?

Thanks

Josh

• 2 months later...

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm on day two of this setup, running all my block 21 components in 200 mode. The results I experienced were mixed. In terms of audio quality, I do hear a difference, albeit marginal - but I'm not concerned about this being of much consequence to the show. I doubt anyone else would notice. In terms of range and intermodulation, the results were basically consistent with 400 mode/411 RXs. The biggest issue I am encountering are the way the RF hits/dropouts sound. When I get a signal dropout, I get hit with a very loud static crackle that I never experienced with 411 RXs. The 411s do a much better job with dropouts, only resulting in mild pops that are far less likely to be noticeable/ pollute other open mics on the same track for the stereo mix. I'm trying out a different freq today for the main TX I was having problems with, but if this problem persists I'm going to push harder for acquiring 411 RXs. Anyone have any thoughts on anything that might help to eliminate some of that nasty static "chhhh chhhh" sound from dropouts/hits?

Thanks

Josh

Hi Josh,

How far was you tx from your 211 rx, I don't have answers to that question, but like you seeking answers.

TY