Wired lapel mics you guys still use them?

markfarrowaudiopost

You need to tight hard to adapter?

Yes. DPA provide a tool of sorts to do this, but it's easy enough to tighten without it. In my case (several years ago), I was in a rush and didn't tighten it properly. The actors were on a boat and I was on a 2nd boat, so I couldn't fix it. Oh well, lesson learned

Yes. DPA provide a tool of sorts to do this, but it's easy enough to tighten without it. In my case (several years ago), I was in a rush and didn't tighten it properly. The actors were on a boat and I was on a 2nd boat, so I couldn't fix it. Oh well, lesson learned

Hmm.. There nothing like a real experience with that. Thank you Constantin!

Maybe it's better the manufacturers to start a new design connectors for us in field? Just a thought.

Do you guys use phantom power wired lavs from time to time?

I keep an Audio-Technica phantom powered lav wired lav that I pull out from time to time for a sit-down interview. It sounds great. The strange thing is that some people (including camera people) don't feel it will work because it isn't wireless... I tell them, "They're only 8 feet away from the camera, the cables are long enough..."

The last remembrance I have using them is an interview with Jean-Paul Belmondo...

Now you're just blowing my mind...

" hard to get a boom close enough without getting in the camera guys way "

are these "guts" working on the same project as you ??

reminder: there is no I in team

It'd be so much easier if you let us know who you're quoting

There's no I in team, but there is one in director.

Surprised at percentage of you that use wireless for interviews. I hard wire all sitting work. I use Cos with 5 foot leads most of the time. Easy, quick, tuck away for break time, RF solid. It has always seemed the logical choice. I seldom have to worry much about very wide shots here.

Like to hear why many of you do it differently.

Hard wire is definitely the way to go. The problem that comes up on the network shoots too often is let's do a walk and talk straight away after the interview, just keep rolling or walk into the set rolling. Wireless can be your friend on that type of setup.

The bottom line is what works for you and that particular job.

David

Surprised at percentage of you that use wireless for interviews. I hard wire all sitting work. I use Cos with 5 foot leads most of the time. Easy, quick, tuck away for break time, RF solid. It has always seemed the logical choice. I seldom have to worry much about very wide shots here.

The big advantage to using a wireless on interviews is that I get to hear it before they sit down, and make adjustments if necessary. I usually mic them up while they're talking to the director or host, and by the time they sit down, I know I've got something good. But you make a good point.

I always make it a point to carry along hardwired adapters with my wireless kit, just on the off-chance that the wireless receivers fail or we run into such a massive RF interference that we won't be able to work. I just had a case where a producer assured me we'd have "no more than 3" people on a live shoot, which turned into 4, and then on one segment, they brought in a fifth guest for which we had no wireless. I ran in a wire, put the adapter on, warned the talent not to try to stand up during the show, and all went fine. The only hassle for me is that they broke this to me 5 minutes before air.

You gotta love live TV...    :blink:

I generally use hard wired personals for seated interviews that aren't suitable for a hypercardioid, as well as for panel discussions. In the latter case, I wouldn't choose (say) 8 radios, with associated intermodulation and compansion, when everyone can just come in, sit down and plug in - it's far less work for me, less gear intensive, and more civilized for the participants. Not to mention the fact that I can hire 8 hard-wired Lavaliers for under $40 - something like a tenth of the price of hiring radios but with a (fractionally) higher quality result!

For seated interviewees, I might use a boom or hardwired personals, but very rarely a radio mic. Nevertheless, there are a lot of other factors in this decision, and I wouldn't turn up without all three options available. I use P48 adapters rather than personals terminated in XLR's, so swapping between wired and wireless isn't an issue and wouldn't require me to remike the interviewee.

As someone else mentioned, P48 adapters are also very useful for car interiors on drama, as a cheaper, lower profile alternative to CCM41's, knuckled MK41's or Sanken CUB's. Hard-wired DPA's on a car roof or visor sound great.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with the senator on that technicality. are you asking if I've committed any of my wiring to xlr, or are you asking whether I ever have a job for wired lavs?

I do interviews, but moving towards narrative. Like the idea behind the car set up above

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD