In Depth Look at what it takes to cover Golf for Tv

ProSound

For anyone who hasn't done live broadcast sports or golf this video shows what it takes to televise golf. As someone who has done lots of golf for tv it really is like doing the superbowl every week with more cameras then a superbowl too 

http://youtu.be/s_vctGv38VA

I enjoy watching golf. A testament to the hard work put in by all these technicians.

I worked with a UPM who used to work for CBS Sports. He said back then it was free-flowing money and expense accounts. He tells a story about knowing when that changed, and it became very corporate. He was questioned about the tree-trimming budget for The British Open. The CBS accountant said, "I watched The British Open, and I didn't see any trees." My UPM replied, "I know. They did a great job!"

That was the last year of free Scotch and cigars at The British Open.

Actually, the piece was a promo/filler hype piece, but nice...

having worked a lot of golf events in the past,  and a few recently, there is still a lot of cable dragging (and they must all be kept hidden!)...

tee and hole mic's are planted, but there are a bunch of audio crew carrying mic's to cover fairway and approach shots, sometimes the RX's are tucked away nearby, (or on towers) and wired back to the base-camp....

wireless lav's: not so much  except inside the hole, under the cup.

Edited by studiomprd

this was very cool, so are they all just plant mics? and wireless lavs?

Each RF Walking Camera has a 816 or MKH 70 on it and  A walking audio person called a Parab Op from the days when they used a parabolic dish  with a zepplin with a MKH 70, 816 or 416 in it he stand right out of the shot and points towards golfer when him and caddy talk and gets his swing. Each tee box has a hard mic or two either 416, or a CS-5 Stereo mic depending upon network and truck. Each green has 2-3 hard mics as well since no one but golfers and Caddies are allowed to walk on greens. The Parab Op wears a pack the transmits back to RF tower on course the EFX mixer talks to him tells him when they are on him and controls his volume. Every Camera is always being recorded to Tape as well so if a golfer hits a great shot they can use it as a highlight so you really need to work every shot like they are going to use it.   It really is like the super bowl every week the crews do an amazing job on very tight budgets for very little money. Since I am ENG audio I get my normal rate all 6 days I work a tournament I sometimes walk with a camera but usually I cover the 18 hole and do interviews after golfers finish I only do 3-4 tournaments a year as they try to use a truck utility to do audio when possible to save money.  It is a rough life though most of the golf production crew travel 40-45 weeks a year 8-10 weeks at a time working 7 days a week They travel monday and work tuesday-sunday. 

Some of my 1970s memories of working on golf remotes are nightmarish, particularly the logistics of having to cart X number of cameras from hole #3 to hole #10. Distance becomes a huge factor, no matter how many cameras you have. Even when all this gear is wireless -- as it often is today -- the lenses still have to operate under the laws of physics, so they're still huge and very heavy. 

Check out this setup for an ABC remote back in the late 1960s/early 1970s:

golf-1.jpg

I can vividly recall a remote where the EIC was hauling up a lens case to the top of a scaffolding platform, about 25' high, when the winch broke and the case plummeted down and made a big dent in the golf course. Everybody ran over, stunned, and the engineer just shook the case, heard the glass tinkling inside, and just shook his head and said, "grab the other 40X from the truck." 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...