Hi Folks,

I finally finished cutting together the video I shot of RME's Jeff Petersen at NAB.

There's a lot of interesting topics that he discusses, including:

why RME chose external PCIe instead of Thunderbolt 

a new standard for MADI over Ethernet

why RME feels MADI is inherently more stable than DANTE 

12V DC powered MADI interface with DSP

Here's the link:

I hope it's ok to post this here and not the Manufacturers and Dealers forum - it just seems more on-target in this forum.

Peter Schneider

Gotham Sound

• 1 year later...

Thunderbolt was developed by Intel (in some sort of partnership with Apple). Apple was, of course, the first adopter, and it is a very fast, thorough and flexible protocol. The slow uptake from the "PC industry" (meaning NOT Apple) has several explanations but none of those explanations involve the public's perception that Thunderbolt is "Apple only". Below is a snippet from Intel's site:

"Thunderbolt™ 2

The computing industry is on board with Intel’s Thunderbolt™ technology, and adoption of the technology in 2013 is growing, especially among video makers creating the richest content. Already a standard feature of Mac computers, it’s now included on PCs and motherboards, as well as many peripheral devices; in addition, hundreds companies—and growing—are developing Thunderbolt technology-enabled products."

-from Wikipedia:

The interface was originally intended to run exclusively on an optical physical layer using components and flexible optical fiber cabling developed by Intel partners and at Intel's Silicon Photonics lab. It was initially marketed under the name Light Peak,[5] and after 2011 as Silicon Photonics Link.[6] However, it was discovered that conventional copper wiring could furnish the desired 10 Gbit/s per channel at lower cost.

This copper-based version of the Light Peak concept was co-developed by Apple and Intel. Apple registered Thunderbolt as a trademark, but later transferred the mark to Intel, which held overriding intellectual-property rights.

I remember looking for a PCI card to add thunderbolt to my Mac pro tower, and reading that apple controlled the technology and wasn't allowing it to be added to other computing systems, which was why nobody made a PCI card. I'm glad that's not the case. I think it's a great interface, one which I personally would like to see grow in popularity.

Thunderbolt  1 and 2 is pretty useless technology.

Actually thunderbolt 2 should be Thunderbolt 1.1.

Thunderbolt 3 will be better using PCIE3 and HDMI2.0 and powering devices up to 100W.

But still you need to have an expensive "and immature" Socket LGA2011-V3 - DDR4 system with a CPU that has 40 PCIE lanes to really use the technology without penalty to your system.

There are no Apple PCs using the socket so the only way to use thunderbolt optimally is to install OSX on a "PC" hardware and patching the kernel.

A downside will be the lack of HOTPLUG for hardrives.

Intel need Microsoft to get behind Thunderbolt for it to move ahead and not seen as Apple only

RME took the; known, safe, and reliable tech road

Nobody in the Microsoft world needed thunderbolt when CPUs only supported 16 PCIE Lanes.

Actually Apple's implementation of Thunderbolt is absolutely stupid!!!

Instead of using the PCH lanes they put  the controller on the  CPU which reduces the system to only use of 8 PCIe 3.0 lanes instead of 16x. This kills your video card performance.

It is so hilarious that apple actually advertised Thunderbolt to video editors...  (:

That plus the fact that the new MacPro's are AMD video only "No CUDA support" really makes an Apple in to a very undesirable video editing solution.

• 2 months later...

I use an older 17" MacBook Pro and record 22+ tracks a 24/96 for a swing band. My session would often crash so I upgraded everything RAM internal SSD and finally used a Thunderbolt ported conventional hard drive as my externa data drive. Thunderbolt solved the problem!