664 and "old eyes"

Philip Perkins

You 664 drivers who are a bit on the older side--how is the screen, esp the type font and size working out for you?  Can you read it w/o glasses?  In sunlight?   I don't have a 664 (looking) but in passing the type seems very small....?  

There seems to be a fashion nowadays to have screens of all sorts be light type on a dark BG--I really dislike this and find it hard to read.

philp

The 664 screen is a step down from the Fusion. Size and the presentation of info on the 664 makes it much harder to decipher.  The 664 screen is unusable in bright sunlight.  In the positive column- although print/screen is small the menus and popup screens are very concise and easy to work through. The brightness control works very well.

I have been using the 664 quite often lately. Even though I'm fortunate to still have excellent vision, I find the 664 screen more difficult to use than the 7 series. However, it also displays more info. thus there's the tradeoff. You can at least see the meters for all the tracks unlike the 788T. However If your eyes are not in the best of condition, the 664 screen could be quite difficult to read due to smaller fonts.

Big fan of the 664's ergonomics. Menu structure is MUCH more simple/intuitive than the 788t so there's a lot less fumbling around... (so hopefully even with smaller readout, you have to do less reading I guess is the point)

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 664 sinds sept. 2012 and i must say when working in the sun it's crap!

I use a screen protector that i made and on top of that i use a matte screen protector that is normally used for cell phones.

This helps a little but does not solve it.

The next thing i will try is to make a sun hood. Just like you have for lcd screens only smaller.

I hope this will do the trick. if not i'm afraid i have to but the cl-6 just for the led's on it.

Really don't need those extra inputs and defenetley don't want that extra weight !(600gr.)

I am going to chime back in on this. Out side shooting a chain saw demo yesterday.  Needed the screen...... COULD NOT SEE SCREEN!!   I have tried hoods, a magnifying shade from a PD150, and all sorts of viewing angles. I do not use glasses and have more than reasonable vision... *

6 Channels are enough so CL6 not needed.  Would be glad to pair some sort of LED readout on the AUX out or such.... thoughts???

*(except if we are talking politics).

They support the L/R+ X1+X2 on the CL6 LEDs, maybe they could make a smaller box that just did meters that plugged into the CL6 port. (Or 3rd party---where's Peter Engh! )

philp

An LED meter only display attachment!? That would be brilliant!

It doesn't make up for the lack of a properly legible screen but that would be damn cool way to Fix the problem...

Along with that a firmware revision to make the screen go to sleep, to conserve battery ala cell phones.. It would wake up when you tap the menu nob.

The fix for me would be...

1/    LEDs   L,R, Aux 1+2,  These with a 442 style spread.  The 302 is cruder than I like.

2/    Start/Stop buttons with Bright LED  Recording Indicator

That on a resilient 18 inch lead out of the CL6 socket would be ideal.

My eyes are getting old... up to +2.00 readers now. I have to use them for the 664 screen so font is small for me. But I love the amount of info and wouldn't suggest any change there. It doesn't feel crowded either- they did a great job with it I think. Outdoors, as mentioned by pretty much anyone who's used it outdoors, it's awful. As for finger space- I have no problem there. 

Sorry to sidetrack your thread but it would be great if everyone who has used the 664 outside took the time to contact tech support at SD to file a request for a fix. Seems to me they're dragging their feet since they've known about the problem for a long time now. I hope that doesn't mean no fix will ever be issued but it's feeling that way.