664 and "old eyes"

Philip Perkins

I too have similar complaints about the screen on the 664 when shooting outdoors, but seeing as how the good folks at Zaxcom upgraded the screens on the Nomad, I'm sure the engineers at SD are working on something similar. I really like the work-around of the hood as posted by @No One, but my hope is that SD will come up with a fix sometime soon so I don't have to resort to that. Absolutely love my 664 though. Now, if I could find a bag for it that a) the 664 fits into properly. B) makes it easy to access the card slots without a fuse puller, and c) I could try out in person before buying...I hear good things about the Kortwich bags, but I'm hesitant to spend that kind of money sight unseen. That being said, it HAS to be better than the goofy Petrol 617 that I'm using now.

As the OP of this thread I thought I'd mention that I spent 2 days wringing out a 664 (in a bag--old PB AO type, but not wearing the bag) and found it all very logical and the OS very elegantly designed.  I used my "reader" glasses all the time with it, but I need those for almost everything close-up anymore, incl 7-series recorders.   So my "old eyes" are fine w/ the 664 screen.  The volume level "bars" on the screen do in fact get much brighter when you turn off the track names.

philp

I tried one the other day. I was baffled that I couldn't see critical info on the screen in bright light. But I was tethered to camera and not recording so it wasn't a real issue.. I could set the levels and then go by ear. Had I been in a set fictional recording situation I'd been much more annoyed.

I liked it. But the size threw me off. What threw me off even more was how crammed it was despite the size! Weirdness.

Well made product though. I can see why it's popular!

Had some time to think about this yesterday. We were shooting a car ad in a bright parking lot. I think the best solution by far is the LED light add on. I would pay for it gladly. I know the world is moving away from them but I would like the option. Booming a dynamic situation makes keeping an eye on LCD levels more challenging than I ever had with 442 or 302 LEDs. This client tends to like tracks a bit hot so keeping an eye on them is part of the day.  I would really like to be able to clip the right half of the CL6 on the outer rim of the bag. I know there were a couple people working on projects like this but they never bubbled up.

PS please save the " use your ears" comments.