Looking for advice on what to do with my Zaxcom hops

Actualsizeaudio

Hello friends,

Like a handful of you, I'm very much looking forward to getting the new zaxcom hop when it comes out. I've been in the middle of reconfiguring my bag to reflect the work I'm doing as of late. I'll spare the boring details, but I'm trying to decide which of my 2 hops to keep. I'd like the one I keep to be my #6 wireless, and my B-hop for when I need to send to a second camera. I plan on getting a QRX with IFB option. I currently have a Nomad, so I'm not really using the IFB option in my TRX900 anymore. 

System A: Stereo line system I got in 2005. It has served me well. It's drawbacks are the limiter that kicks in too quick, less intuitive screen, almost no metering, and it's finicky with what it likes level wise. Pros are that it's compact, power efficient, less expensive to keep, and there is no screwdriver required to go from cam link to mic. 

System B: TRX900AA with STA100, RX900, IFB100. I got this system when these first came out. My TRX has been updated to the new board, and it has the recording option and the IFB option. It's drawbacks are that to use it as a mic requires more work than the Stereo Line, and it's also much more expensive to keep. Its pros are that it records, I could use it as a mic/IFB if I had the little adapter, has a better screen, defeat able limiter, excellent metering. 

What I don't have is any experience using these as microphones. I'd love to hear from anyone who does, and can help me make this call. Does one sound better, have better range? (my stereoline is a version 149 with the fixed 65MW). I'm leaning strongly towards keeping A and selling B right now, getting QRX, and just waiting patiently for the hop to arrive while using A as my main hop for a while. 

Thoughts?

Are you buying the same block? Might make sense to keep a backup set... Or the ability to feed multiple cameras. I currently have anTRX900AA/STA150 sending to a RX900S and QRX100Q. I have a COS11D wired for my TRX and it works great, usually when i need the recording. I've used the older hops but only to feed a camera and not as body pack mics, so I can't speak to the difference in sound for that use.

Personally I plan on getting the new camera hop on the same block and maybe making my current TRX/STA the backup.

Are you buying the same block? Might make sense to keep a backup set... Or the ability to feed multiple cameras. I currently have anTRX900AA/STA150 sending to a RX900S and QRX100Q. I have a COS11D wired for my TRX and it works great, usually when i need the recording. I've used the older hops but only to feed a camera and not as body pack mics, so I can't speak to the difference in sound for that use.

Personally I plan on getting the new camera hop on the same block and maybe making my current TRX/STA the backup.

I am buying the same block for sure. It really is handy having 2 of these things on the same block for that very reason. 

How to turn off the limiter is not in the manual.  I got this info from Zaxcom many years ago.  Here's how you do it.

The Limiter turn-off is typically something that is done at the
factory when someone requests it. Be careful not to change any other settings.

Turn on the TXer and quickly press menu till you get to the "LOC"
page. Press the DOWN button several times quickly until the display
says CNF (you only have 7 seconds to get into the menu). You are
now in the super secret configuration menu.

Press Menu until you see the word "ron" pop up.  The number that is
in this page adjusts battery tables and lock mode behaviour as well
as the limiter on/off setting.  See what the number is and write it
down.   You need to increment this number until there is a "1" in
front of it. So if it says "02" you want it to say "12" this will
put the Txer into "No Limiter" mode. This will be remembered when
the power is turned off.

Andy

Wow thanks Andy, Zaxcom loves super secret menus. I wonder if Glenn has a secret room in his house. 

Does it have an adjustable threshold, or is it on off only? I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't set so low. 

Hope you have been well. I've been sending work your way. Hope some of it has materialized. 

I heard that there is a super-super secret product coming from Zaxcom that even Glenn doesn't know about. It is a Zax Easter Egg that will be hidden inside one of their existing products. Not only will it not have a manual, it won't even have ANY menus or settings, but it will have amazing innovative and unique features all activated by RMM ("Read My Mind" pat. pend.). There is no need for any user settings because it just knows what you want to do. Cool! Look for it to be available sometime before NAB 2018.

If i were you I'd sell everything except the RX900S. Then get the camera link and QRX. You'll be set to send audio to two cameras. Down the road if you still want to use the system as a on talent Mic I'd just keep an eye out for a used TRX900LA.

Anyway, that was my plan except at the last minute I decided to sell off my extra receiver as well because I can't remember the last time i really needed two receivers on a job.

PS.. any update on camera link availability?

HI Mike, 

Interestingly enough I have almost an identical setup as you. Two RX900rx, one TRX900AA (with STA150) and one stereoline trx. I use the stereoline trx as my main camera hop and my TRX900AA talent wireless and/or second hop when needed. I really like how compact the original stereoline trx is and I don't need to fuss with the menu very often using it as a hop. I can't hear a different in quality between the stereoline trx and the TRX900AA. I plan on using the original stereoline until it literally explodes. I suppose you could sell a bunch of stuff and upgrade, but why if everything is working properly?

Damen

I suppose you could sell a bunch of stuff and upgrade, but why if everything is working properly?

Hi Damen,

That is a good question. Since I got my Nomad I haven't used my 302 since it doesn't record. I just don't do anything without recording it anymore. A good friend of mine even got a call weeks after a job hoping he had recording the audio on his shoot. Her edit system crashed, and somehow the video came back and not the audio. Crazy stuff happens. I just like the idea of having a transmitter with no RF bleed that I can easily throw into record. I WOULD like to use my 302 on jobs where I'm only booming for hours on end. I still get those from time to time.  The TRX900AA, even with the front buttons putting it into record, is too cumbersome for me. The auto load works well, but I'm on a lot of shoots with toy cameras. I also like the idea of a 2 way zaxnet system with my nomad bag. The AES seems very cool as well. 

BUT

I might not do it in the end. I used my TRX900AA system today. It worked really well. made me think twice.

There are other needs for me coming up, like Pro Tools 11 for both my my PT systems. Now THAT I'm really, really excited about. 

Still, I'd love to hear from users of these transmitters as mic transmitters as to wether or not one is heads and shoulders over the other. I'd also like to know how well they work with Sankens, since that is what I mostly use. 

One thing I really like about the camera hop is the positioning of the ports. With the TRX/STA setup I sometimes worry I might snag a cable or mess up the remote antenna while doing some crazy run&gun or jumping in and out of cars.... Or even just loading the van. That might just be me always thinking about what could be done better with my gear.