L.A. screening "Who Needs Sleep?"

Jeff Wexler

The Entertainment Technology Center at USC’s Digital Cinema Laboratory will screen “WHO NEEDS SLEEP?” on Monday, May 8, 2006 at 7:00 PM as part of its continuing series of digitally presented motion pictures. The screening will be held at the Lab’s historic Pacific Theater location  -  6433 Hollywood Blvd., between Wilcox and Cahuenga. Doors open at 6:30 PM.

Guest speaker Haskell Wexler, A.S.C.

Other speakers to be announced

Those wishing to attend can RSVP to: rsvp@whoneedssleep.net

Runtime:  78 minutes

Guest repete86

Cool.  I have a question since you grew up with the great Haskel Wexler.  Were his home movies remarkably better than the neighbors?  I was always curious as to whether DP's put the same amount of care into those images as they do on a set or not.

Cool.  I have a question since you grew up with the great Haskel Wexler.  Were his home movies remarkably better than the neighbors?

You have to remember than my father is 84 years old and so the first "home movies" he ever made were made in the 1940's when few if any of the neighbors had even the means to make home movies. We take for granted these days that everyone has a video camera and iMovie and can produce their own "professional" DVDs. My father was fortunate enough to have a father who was a little bit of a technology person and had made a fairly decent living having started Allied Radio in Chicago, the first large scale electronics catalog business in the country. So, they had a movie camera and enough money to buy the 100 foot rolls of daylight load and the wherewithall to have it processed. They also had a projector to show the stuff. The simple anwer to your question is yes, in my father's case, the home movies were quite good with interesting lighting, camera angles and good storytelling. When I was growing up, Pop was generally too busy shooting real movies to do much home movie stuff. When video came in, we were all grown up pretty much so there wasn't a lot of home video either.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Guest repete86

Oh yes, I realize that it wasn't video.  I was referring to double 8 or 16mm home movies, but also what I meant by it though was the stuff that he shot around the house rather than short films.  My grandfather had this large box of old Kodachrome reels from the 50's and 60's of my parents growing up.  Those were the kind of home movies I meant.