secure mounting of a plugon

I use my TRX742 right on top of the pole. The connection between just the TRX´s female XLR and the counterpart on my various mic mounts doesn´t feel very secure. There is just too much play. It even makes noise.

With my Panamic pole I use some velcro on both sides.

I was wondering if anyone found a clever solution to get a better grip?

Sennheiser´s SKP got that very nice secure ring. Neutrik even offers that as a standalone connector - unfortunately female only. I would need a male version as I don´t want to DIY my TRX ...

post-495-0-46203100-1369163343_thumb.png

post-495-0-41064900-1369163355_thumb.jpg

I guess the mic mount connectors are Neutrik males, right? IME these tend to be a little wider (fraction of a millimeter) than Switchcrafts. The connector on the 742 looks switchcraftish.

that´s right. TRX is Switchcraft all mics are Neutrik. But my older TRX700 got a Neutrik too and still it´s quite fragile.

Sooner or later I will come across a DIY solution just thought someone might have found it already.

I wanna try and use the Rycote MKII and have the one ring with the screw around both the XLR-male and the TRX connector just where both ends connect to each other. Will make a picture ...

The velcro version works alright with my Panamic pole but not so good with my QP4140 as the top element is way thinner than the Panamic top.

The Ambient QAT top tip ends in a standard Neutrik male connector - so that wouldn´t make any difference.

The plug on the Lectro HM and UH400 handheld plugons are also very secure. If anything, they're pretty tricky to take off. 

The trick is to hold the UH body or HM body in one hand and turn the ring with the other, leaving the mic totally free. The hook will retract and the spring loaded ring will pop the mic up an eighth of an inch or so. The mic is now easy to remove. Holding the mic while you turn the ring will just lead to frustration. 

The spring loaded floating ring doesn't release easily but it keeps a wiggling mic from levering the connector apart by providing "give" in the system. We found this out by originally trying a threaded fixed ring and completely pulling some connectors apart a little bit at a time in some repeated brutality tests.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

The trick is to hold the UH body or HM body in one hand and turn the ring with the other, leaving the mic totally free. The hook will retract and the spring loaded ring will pop the mic up an eighth of an inch or so. The mic is now easy to remove. Holding the mic while you turn the ring will just lead to frustration.

The spring loaded floating ring doesn't release easily but it keeps a wiggling mic from levering the connector apart by providing "give" in the system. We found this out by originally trying a threaded fixed ring and completely pulling some connectors apart a little bit at a time in some repeated brutality tests.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

When it's mounted on a boom, Marc is right, you almost need a third hand for that technique.

When it's mounted on a boom, Marc is right, you almost need a third hand for that technique.

Point noted;  but If you jump strongly up in the air and quickly do the twisting before it all comes back down, it will work quite well. Leaping out of tall buildings works too.

Cheers,

LEF