Lemo vs Ptap/Dtap

Howiecreate

I'm working on a new power solution that rides on the back of one of our video rigs to help clean up our power/multiple battery needs ahead of going to haiti in a week. We typically run a pix 240 and a bunch of other camera accessories, and I can't seem to make up my mind about if the entire power solution should be designed around using lemo plugs or ptap/dtap connections. It seems that most of the battery plates with multiple connections are using lemo, but I can't decide if it's worth the extra cost, verse using the 1-4 ptap multi connector, or the sandwich adapter. Any suggestions as to the positives or negatives of using one connector over the other would be helpful.

We are a completely in-house production unit, so I have the ability to spec the entire system as opposed to having to adapt to someone else's.

• 1 month later...

i have 2 powering systems:

Dtap (powercon) and 4 pin hirose.

Hirose - industry standard for sound and some camera, high quality, hard to make or repair in field, expensive, needs distribution system for more than 1 device.

Dtap - industry standard for a lot of camera batteries but not so much for sound, plastic body, good quality, easy to build and repair in field, cheaper (than hirose), if you use the DUAL POWER-CON PLUG (PCX-3) with both male and female parts you don't need a distribution system as you can just connect another to the stack. Easy to make to power leads with 2 O/Ps into 1 connector (if you like to do such things). Or add another battery in parallel to the first (in the system) for hot swapping batteries etc.

I also have a Hirose/Dtap adapter cable which bridges between the 2 systems.

My vote is for Dual power Dtap - lightest, cheapest, most versatile, fairly compact in bag (or on side of camera).

Dan.

• 9 months later...

Having said that - SWITCHCRAFT has a series of high current DC connectors - I have not used them as yet - but you should check them out. they seem quite solid - some of them are sealed (environmentally)... 

Used some of the high current switchcraft connectors. SOLID stuff.