Sound Devices 788T/788T-SSD - Firmware 3.00

Sound Grab

Sound Devices 788T/788T-SSD firmware - (v3.00) provides the following new features and changes.

New

• Support for 192 kHz sample rate. Up to four tracks (L thru B), one media only.
  • Added L-ident tone mode, including TONE+LAMP shortcut to toggle the mode on or off.
  • Added user-customizable CL-9 trim encoder adjustment. Affects trim gain and EQ Frequency.
  • Option to decode MS into LR MIX only and leave ISO tracks as un-decoded MS.
  • Added limiters for digital inputs (AES3 and AES42).
  • Scene, take, notes, circle and track name metadata linked between two C-Linked 788Ts.
  • Faster drive formatting.
  • Added new Timecode mode, 'Free Run - Auto Output Mute'. This is the same as Free run mode, but mutes the Lemo timecode output when stopped. This can be used to roll external devices when Rec run timecode is not suitable.

Change

• Default Ext Low Voltage Threshold changed from 10.0V to 11.3V.

Fixes

• Output four, one sample delay.
  • 4 GB file split bug.
  • Various system improvements and optimizations.

I see very little use or need for panning in the 788t. It's a recorder not a mixer, if you want variable pan get a mixer.

However cl-wifi needs updating like crazy! the two things i see that it really needs is output routing menu, sound report page.

It's a recorder not a mixer, if you want variable pan get a mixer.

788t/CL8 is a recorder with mixing capabilities (opposed to e.g. the 664 being a mixer with recording capabilities). I don't see the point, a firmware should not be able of something the hardware is generally capable of (and users might ask for), other than (in this case) SD wants you to buy an extra 664 or CL9 for that feature. (the latter I doubt, after all, 788t/CL8 is more expensive).

How much use do you see for panning on the 664 or bagged 1person situations anyway?

Doesn't that confuse the editor?

And that's why you can hear in many videos only the left (or right) channel on speakers.

Because in post the editor doesn't change nothing (not all editors).

And that's why I'm mixing and sending mono to camera.

Something to be aware of when updating the firmware is that many of the factory defaults get reinstated. I just got bitten in the arse after performing the update- I had left my 788 at frame rate 23.98fps from my shoot the day before, updated the firmware in the evening of that day and didn't realize that that the update caused my recorder Frame rate setting to revert to 30fps.

Next day I thought I was recording the frame rate I'd left it at the day before, worked a whole day and uploaded to DIT  before noticing that I had been recording 30fps all day. I then had to make a very embarrassing call to the producer. Thankfully I had the solution to my mistake by converting the TC rate using wave agent and then uploading converted files to post production's server. Of course production had to notify post to make sure that they used the correct version of the files (extra work for everyone).  I think they were happy that I had taken it upon myself to fix the problem, but would have been better if the issue hadn't happened in the first place.

Note to self- Never assume anything, double check all settings at the start of each day even if I know that I haven't changed anything since the day before. Always be learning from your mistakes.

The default reinstatement is what's causing people problems when trying to set the recorder to 192 KHz sampling rate. You need to clear all routing, regardless of whether tracks are armed or not and start again, and then select a single recording medium. SD recommend that you save the 192 KHz set-up as a pre-set.

Regards,

John

Can I update from version 2:18 or must I go through earlier versions first?

I live in fear of these updates, they freak me out a bit..

Copy on your fash card the 2.19 and the 3.00 update. 

Go to the update menu.

Then your 788 will ask you too choose between the two.

Choose one.

That's all very easy.

If you install 3.00 you can easily move back to 2.19 or another.

If are worried about updates, just go to the 2.19 and wait one week or two to go to the 3.00.

From SD's Website If Updating from Revision 1.XX to 2.XX with a CL-9

Because of the various processes on-board, the update procedure must be repeated for the 788T to fully address a CL-9.

Any one have any idea what this specifically means?  Does it mean that we have to do the update with the CL9 disconnected and then do the firmware update again?/confusion

Paul

From SD's Website If Updating from Revision 1.XX to 2.XX with a CL-9

Because of the various processes on-board, the update procedure must be repeated for the 788T to fully address a CL-9.

Any one have any idea what this specifically means?  Does it mean that we have to do the update with the CL9 disconnected and then do the firmware update again?/confusion

Paul

If are running any version of 2.xx already, this does not apply.

Also, it isn't necessary to step through revisions.

I updated yesterday then loaded previous settings from a file recorded before updating.

All went well but I had to deactivate the Remote Track Naming as it only worked in an additive fashion when using the CL Wifi for metadata rather than editing the SC/Tk. So every time I'd change a name it would only add on to the previous Sc/Tk name. Kind of confusing but I solved this by disabling menu 11-Remote Track Naming.

Also, my usual take separator "T" that makes the Sc/Tk of file 101T01, went away and that isn't a place I would usually look for issues as it doesn't show up until you look back at the files.

And... my previous recording medium of HDD and Ext HD had changed to Ext HD only.

Once I went through it all VERY thoroughly all seems well.

YMMV

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Also, my usual take separator "T" that makes the Sc/Tk of file 101T01, went away and that isn't a place I would usually look for issues as it doesn't show up until you look back at the files. And... my previous recording medium of HDD and Ext HD had changed to Ext HD only.

I think you have no choice but to always go through all the menu items whenever you do a major firmware upgrade. This is the same thing with Pro Tools, editing programs, and color-correction software: things get a little munged when opening up old files (or setups) under new software. 

After consulting with several editors, they told me they don't like the "T" designation for takes, so I just use a dash. That way, scene 103A take 1 becomes "103A-1.WAV" as a file. To me, this is easier to read and makes more logical sense. I concede this could be a little confusing if you had a scene number with a dash in it.

I also noticed the default for media had changed on me, but I caught it. I'm kinda surprised that SD didn't just make the default internal HD and CF. 

still cannot visualise the whole 8 iso tracks on the led meters.

It works. I just use "L" as the channel 1 mono mix track, and then put all the isos on R, 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on. It's not a big deal. SD has said because the channel names are etched into the cabinet, it'd be too big a deal to change it. I have no idea how the channels are labeled coming out of the files, but I haven't had an editor complain so far, and I make sure the sound reports accurately reflect what's in the file.