788T Firmware 3.0 Now Available

Firmware revision 3.0 is now available for the 788T and 788T-SSD.

Link http://www.sounddevices.com/download/788t-firmware/

New
  • Support for 192 kHz sample rate. Up to four tracks (L thru B), one media only.
  • Scene, take, notes, false takes, circle and track name metadata is now linked between C-Linked 788Ts.
  • Added L-ident tone mode, including TONE+LAMP shortcut to toggle the mode on or off.
  • Added user-customizable CL-9 trim encoder adjustment. Affects trim gain and EQ Frequency.
  • Option to decode MS into LR MIX only and leave ISO tracks as un-decoded MS.
  • Added limiters for digital inputs (AES3 and AES42).
  • Scene, take, notes, circle and track name metadata linked between two C-Linked 788Ts.
  • Faster drive formatting.
  • Added new Timecode mode, 'Free Run - Auto Output Mute'. This is the same as Free run mode, but mutes the Lemo timecode output when stopped. This can be used to roll external devices when Rec run timecode is not suitable.
Change
  • Default Ext Low Voltage Threshold changed from 10.0V to 11.3V.

Fixes
  • Output four, one sample delay.
  • 4 GB file split bug.
  • Various system improvements and optimizations. 

Added new Timecode mode, 'Free Run - Auto Output Mute'. This is the same as Free run mode, but mutes the Lemo timecode output when stopped. This can be used to roll external devices when Rec run timecode is not suitable.

all great stuff ! congrats ! 

On the other hand... I hate when this happens a few hours before an early-morning shoot:

788_crash_zpsd3dec3dc.jpg

Because I love to live on the edge, I went through all the menus and did a few test recordings under 3.00, and the machine "seems" to work, and I made it through an entire job today (2 tracks only) with no issues. I'm going to try the firmware update again and see if it sticks this time.

Usually, I have much better luck with this stuff...

I had to change over from a 2.19 rental device that had to go back, and had a V3 788T the last two days. Worked fine on the job, except for not loading *all* settings from that file from the previous unit on the CF. I had to manually set it to write to INHDD and CF, standard setting seems to be EXHDD only.

So far, no "programming errors".

I had to change over from a 2.19 rental device that had to go back, and had a V3 788T the last two days. Worked fine on the job, except for not loading *all* settings from that file from the previous unit on the CF. I had to manually set it to write to INHDD and CF, standard setting seems to be EXHDD only.

I caught that, too, but only because I'm anal enough that I meticulously went through all 106 menus to check every one of them. You'd think it would produce a warning message when it didn't connect to an EXHDD, yet it was set to record to one...

Attempting to update the firmware yet again.

And my thanks to Scott Farr, who sent me a message advising me to reformat the hard drive from scratch and then installing the new firmware. That did the trick:

788Success_zps84c6715e.jpg

It would be nice if Sound Devices might include this little tidbit in the ReadMe file for the upgrade. Why the machine is "happier" doing the upgrade on an empty hard drive, I have no idea.

BTW, it took less than 5 seconds to reformat the drive, which was the fastest I've ever seen. Kudos to SD for pulling that off.

Alerted sound devices support this morning to a little bug I found in this firmware update. They were able to recreate it on their machine and are now working on a patch.

Switching a single input's left or right routing between post and prefade changes the setting for all inputs.