Cos11 vs scratchy shirt

Matt Morris

Like lots of recordists, I struggle when micing up people wearing shirts. Avoiding scratching and rustling can be really difficult.

I'm a big fan of the "hide in plain sight" method using a Countryman B6 through a button hole, but find the sound of the mic itself a bit hit and miss.

I've been trying to figure out a way to do the same with a Cos11. Simply poking it straight up doesn't work too well and the angle created makes the rear of the head stick out into the chest.

I tried using a cut up piece of a right angled straw today and it worked surprisingly well. Seems to create a bit of a peak in the upper-mid frequencies but nothing too drastic. It's worth it to negate the scratching anyway. Best thing is the mic head stays straight up and can be taped unobtrusively on to the inside of the shirt using moleskin or similar. You can even poke some bits of fabric into the front of the straw for some wind protection.post-2899-0-43387300-1369423896_thumb.jppost-2899-0-44670800-1369423930_thumb.jp

There is no "tunnel" sounding effect using your set up? BTW very ingenious. Something about necessity being the mother of invention I recall. ::)  

Eric

Thanks Eric. There is a slight "tunneling" sound but I was expecting it to be a lot worse, it's acceptable IMO. Similar to the sound that you get when pushing the Cos11 into the RM1 rubber mount.

Getting the mic closer to the tube opening will reduce the "tunnel" effect. Push the mic up, move the tube down or just cutting the length of the tube will accomplish the same thing.

Eric

Yeah, I did have it a bit longer at first and noticed the "tunnelling" was reduced when I trimmed it down. The plan is to have it long and trim it down to the shortest possible size after rigging it in the shirt. Obviously depends on the type of shirt/buttons etc. 

Cool!

I add a small dab of "snot tape" behind the button and stick the mic to it, works everytime.

I've tried this a few times and find that the mic head still brushes against the shirt as the button is "pushing back" on it. Makes the back of the mic point into the chest too.

Just tested this method again today. No changes to the Cos11's directionality, it's as omni as it ever was, picking up head turns the same as before.

If you have the mic pushed up far into the straw and have the "poking out" section quite short, the straw simply acts as a method of keeping the button hole consistently open enough to expose the mic head.

post-2899-0-82321700-1369843985_thumb.jp

The ability to stuff some colour matched fabric into the straw opening helps with wind noise and further masks its appearance too. This is something I struggle with when using the B6.

post-2899-0-22929800-1369844067_thumb.jp

The head can then be protected from rubbing noise at the rear (chest side) by using moleskin and sticking the placket together.

I've found that while this method stops rubbing noise from the mic brushing against the shirt, it doesn't help with noise generated from the shirt rubbing over the chest when walking etc. I've found the best method to deal with this is by sticking bigger patch of moleskin between the chest and the inside of the shirt, stuck where the mic head is located.