"Keep Rollin' From The Top" - A Boom Operators Blues

My Boom Operator, Jeff Erdmann put this song together with Garageband during the WGA Strike Hiatus.

You'll all get a kick out of it!

I can't upload it to this site (file is too large) so play it or download it here:  http://www.macjams.com/song/40791

If you like it - drop him a line and tell him  Jeff Erdmann <jeffsoundman@yahoo.com>

Enjoy,

RL

Way to go Jeff E! I loved that song, on all levels, music was great, lyrics were great, loved the use of "real world" sounds ("put us on a bell!", etc.). It is a testament to your talent and creativity (and of course, kudos to Apple for the way they have empowered us all --- 10 years ago you would have been in a studio paying somebody a lot of money to get that sort of production value. Now we are making music, and recording sound professionally, on the same device we use to get our email!).

-  Jeff Wexler

Thank you everyone. I had a great time dusting off my musical instruments and setting up a little studio in my living room. Took 3 days, but it's really still a rough mix. (Did it all in Bose headphones.)

(Song Trivia: I came up with the song in the shower, right before going wine tasting with my wife and niece in Santa Ynez.)

I agree we should have a "central repository" for this sort of media. Volunteers?

Jeff W., you're absolutely right, I made this on a program which came FREE with my MacBook. Unreal.

Again, thank you all. If anyone else has a musical epiphany and wants to collaborate, let me know!!!

Jeff Erdmann

jeffsoundman@yahoo.com

How about it Jeff W?  We have a gallery for sound carts, how about one for sound songs?

Philip Perkins

I don't think I want to host such a site --- there are too many already available (like the MacJam site that Jeff E. used to put up his song). I think it works out just fine when people post a LINK to where something resides. It would be cool to be able to listen to stuff right here in this Forum but it just isn't technically feasible with this structure.

Regards,  Jeff Wexlr

I agree with Jeff on this. Music and/or video hosting would require a huge amount of bandwidth.

Jeff would also have to be able to handle a huge amount of traffic.

I'm not sure of the technicality but on my own blog (hosted by Wordpress) for example, when you post a link to a video (ie YouTube) or music clip (ie Odeo) it appears to be embedded in my post -- but really is a "hot' link to the YouTube server.

I don't know if this is possible on Jeff's site and wether it is really necessary. The ability to link and then that link opens in a separate window is OK with me.

RL

There should be a special website for pieces like this--this song, Steve Morrow's "AD At Home" movie, "THAT GRIP"  (remember that one?) etc.. so they don't get lost. 

Philip Perkins

Philip,

The post of That Grip on YouTube is from a bootleg VHS done by some festival that Gary Grieg made a submission to. Gary is here in DC working as a commercial Director/Cameraman and on the odd Discovery or Geographic show. Next time I see him I'll ask him to put a better copy up on the net somewhere and pass the word along. And Spinner (That Grip) is nearly in real life as he's portrayed in the film.

Jim

I could easily add/extend more chorus sections to the song to accommodate the footage if need be. I was also planning to shoot some sort of video while I'm on the show at Paramount studios, the perfect location. That extra footage would take the video over the top!

And miming-be-damned! We're SOUNDMEN, let's get 'em singin!

JE

"3GP video will do or are we going mini DV here?"

Quick Impression:

Producer - "It doesn't matter, just get it in the can! We'll fix it in Post!"

But seriously folks, as long as the footage can be transferred into iMovie/FCP, it really shouldn't matter, and cutting between different formats might be cool and Soderbergh-esque.

JE

Jeff,

can you make a hip hop version please. some old school rap. think Run Dmc.

" when I bend my back - my arms start to hurt - my knees tend to pop"

the damn director - he's ill'n- and always yell'n-" keep roll'n from the top"

I swing a 14' carbon fiber for 14 hours straight-1st ac don't care that I paid my dues- and there's a hair in the gate- 2nd meal comes and goes-I got the boom op blues

I agree with Jeff on this. Music and/or video hosting would require a huge amount of bandwidth.

Jeff would also have to be able to handle a huge amount of traffic.

I'm not sure of the technicality but on my own blog (hosted by Wordpress) for example, when you post a link to a video (ie YouTube) or music clip (ie Odeo) it appears to be embedded in my post -- but really is a "hot' link to the YouTube server.

I don't know if this is possible on Jeff's site and wether it is really necessary. The ability to link and then that link opens in a separate window is OK with me.

RL

Richard, I have been playing around with WordPress for quite some time (it is getting better and better and now with the imminent release of v. 2.5 it will become a real platform I believe). Anyone interested can check out my most recent efforts at a blog:  http://jwsound.net/WP/

I used a new plugin to put up the Ray Charles quote (audio recording from Tom Dowd movie) and I have also used a plugin (possibly what Richard uses) to link to YouTube (embedded).

Feel free to signup for posting to the blog if you wish (very easy and only requires an email and your own password) or just view it --- open to the public.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler