My latest bag rebuild

Simon Paine

So I've just finished putting together my latest bag kit. 

I've had this idea in my head for a few years now, ever since seeing the Lectro Octo Pack and thinking, why can't this thing be mounted to a mixer ? Then when I saw Pascal's creation (nice work Pascal!) it really made me want to finally do something about it.

So here it is:

post-55-0-40346700-1369754529_thumb.jpg

I'm running a Sound Devices 664, 3 SRB's, Lectro D4 TX and TC Buddy Wifi master. 

post-55-0-87902100-1369754617_thumb.jpg

The whole bag is powered on/off by a glowing green power switch and I've included a DC power meter in matching green.  

post-55-0-47826300-1369754719_thumb.jpg

The custom machined bracket is mounted to the 664 using pre-existing mounting points. 2 on the "Golf Tee" posts on the top of the mixer and 2 other screws on the back panel of the mixer. The SRB's are bolted in place in the cut outs of the bracket and everything is held firmly in place.

post-55-0-38352700-1369754881_thumb.jpg

Custom low profile XLR connectors connect the SRB's to the mixer.

post-55-0-61989800-1369755083_thumb.jpg

And power is handled through a custom DC distro, located in the black box just under the DC power meter.

post-55-0-86875400-1369754973_thumb.jpg

The whole bag runs on V-mount batteries. There are 2 P-tap connectors allowing me to hot swap the batteries and never have to power down.

post-55-0-21776300-1369755131_thumb.jpg

I'm really happy with how the finished bag looks and feels. It's clean and uncluttered. The machinist who made the bracket did a great job and he even did a quick sandblast finish to the aluminium that gives it a nice matt look. 

All the wiring and electrical magic credit goes to my good Friend Harry Quan, who, as always, did a fantastic job.

Very nice! I am super jealous!

I wish that there were an elegant way of minimizing and organizing 411a's like this.

One thing you (or someone) may want to try is the same kind of setup but with an RF antenna distro + amp built in.

Simon, first of all, really cool bag. Thanks for the credit but really you made it your own and customized it to your needs and kit. I am really happy that people are rethinking their bag and making some cool changes. Too much weight and back hurt.

I am currently using a kortwich bag with only a hip belt ( no harness ) and it is simply amazing. No ache or soreness at the end of a day.

Also working on version 2 of the kit. More to come on this later.

Very inspiring.

Simon, first of all, really cool bag. Thanks for the credit but really you made it your own and customized it to your needs and kit. I am really happy that people are rethinking their bag and making some cool changes. Too much weight and back hurt.

I am currently using a kortwich bag with only a hip belt ( no harness ) and it is simply amazing. No ache or soreness at the end of a day.

Very inspiring.

can I ask you to put a picture up with your final config? I really wonder how it all fits in the end with the custom bag.

[bowing down facing due north.]

Oh, Canada!

You and Pascal have changed how all of us think about bags.

When i first looked at the first pictures imagined you jumping up and down with excitement.

Yup.

Everybody should have a pet machinist :)

Thanks for the props everyone. I'm really happy with the way it has turned out. I"m one of those people that needs a clean and organized workspace to be able to concentrate and focus on what I'm working on. Hopefully this setup will help !

wow this is amazing Simon, any thoughts on manufacturing and selling it to your fellow mixers?

Thanks Ferdinand. I hadn't really thought about manufacturing and selling it. I suppose if there was enough demand for it, but I imagine everyone has there own particular setup for there bag so it would be hard to make a "one size fits all" solution. Just looking through the "show me your bag" thread shows that every one's ideal setup is slightly different.

Are you running the 664 in ext TC off the TC bud, or the other way around? 

Hi Philip, for now I'm using the 664 TC clock to feed the TC buddy. But the beauty of this gear is that the option is always there to turn the TC Buddy Wifi Master into the master clock. I'll see how it goes. We are spoiled for choices these days with the gear we have.

One thing you (or someone) may want to try is the same kind of setup but with an RF antenna distro + amp built in.

very nice...

no if you add antenna distro -- even one ant/RX--to reduce the number individual whips right next to each other.. I suspect that will improve RX performance a bit.

Thanks guys. I had thought of it while putting this together. However I've been pretty happy with the performance of the SR's as is for now and I just got them back from the SRB upgrade at Lectro and they seem to be working even better. I'll see how this setup works out. Maybe Antenna distro will be part of version 2.0

Can't wait to see what you come up with Pascal.

Simon what's your runtime with that Swit v-mount? 6-7 hours?

Hey Max, I literally just got the bag a few days ago. Haven't taken it out for a true run through on a gig yet. I'm hoping to get 6 hours per V-mount. We will see. The Swit V-mounts I'm using are 126Wh. I'll try and update in a few weeks after having used the kit on an upcoming project and let everyone know what runtimes I'm getting.

You and Pascal have changed how all of us think about bags.

When i first looked at the first pictures imagined you jumping up and down with excitement.

Thanks Jan. I was pretty close to jumping up and down when I finally got the whole kit together. I felt like a kid at Christmas.

I can't give enough praise to Harry Quan who really tied this whole thing together. I was the idea guy, but he really made it all work.

**stares at his mess of a bag wishing it was like Simon Paine's**

Haha. Thanks Mark. It was actually staring down at my mess of a bag that inspired me to come up with this. lol.