phantom power with mic I/Ps (balanced and un-balanced), line I/Ps (balanced and unbalanced I/Ps)

daniel

I've been asking and reading around for a conclusive answer on this but i have had conflicting advice and opinions from respectable sources (i have also done a jwsg search).  

I've also read that even if kit is not damaged by phantom power the audio can be affected and so can power usage.

The tascam dr - 680 switches phantom power on I/Ps in pairs.

What can and can not be plugged into phantom power I/Ps (without damage to kit or other undesirable effects)?

What is the best (cleanest, lightest, lightest) way to resolve the issue of switched pairs?

A external phantom power box or phantom power filter or isolation transformer.

Many thanks in advance for all replies.

kind regards,

dan.

" i have had conflicting advice and opinions "

and more of the same, here...

What is the best (cleanest, lightest, lightest  :blink: ) way to resolve the issue of switched pairs? "

some mixers have a single switch for Phantom on all inputs.

" A external phantom power box or phantom power filter or isolation transformer. "

yes, ?, yes

" No - wireless systems, actually just about everything else. "

er, not really.

a major feature of Phantom power is that,by design it is invisible to, and does not typically have any affect on a properly balanced & floating source. another feature is very limited current capability.

There are exceptions, notably, non-transformer outputs of some mixers may react poorly (but not damage!) if plugged into a recorder input with Phantom power present.  Also not recommended for older ribbon mic's.

Thank you both helping clear this up.

As an aggregate, all the details add up :-) And of course ultimately 'it depends'.

I was planning on getting a phantom power box any way, it just occurred to me there maybe a way to block the PP on the 2nd I/P that would be convenient for a small recorder bag eg. small and light.

And in the other direction i was also looking at Prefer MBF - 10?

As an outboard pre-amp (with PP, LCF and int & ext power supply), its not a great shape for bag though.

Thanks again.

Atb,

Dan

Phantom powering (48 or 12VDC between pins 1 and 2, and 1 and 3) is used primarily because it won't damage most non-condenser mics, whereas T power (Tonader - 12VDC between pins 2 and 3) will toast a ribbon mic immediately!

In today's world, Phantom power is safe with virtually all mics, but interestingly enough, some electronically balanced outputs can be adversely affected by Phantom power (xfmr balanced outputs couldn't care less...), most notably the Lectro Venues, which can be damaged when connected to a hot Phantom powered input.

Jay

• 1 year later...

Yes, pro-sumer quality lav receivers get a squirrelly sounding interference when fed phantom (no issue with lectrosonics) with my old dr-680 and G3 setup I couldn't use input 2 for wireless if I was powering a boom.

this is also true with the newer Sony digital wireless (yellow screen)