borrowing a 788t...Help!?

cedric12

hi,

First off, Im not a sound guy by any means. understand the basics. Long story short, I borrowed a 788t from a friend and he's out of the country.( Don't want to bug him on the family getaway)  i have a couple basic questions that i need some advice on. 

- what should i set the sample rate and bit depth to? 

-file type-  poly or mono?

-ill be shooting at 30 frames. what should the TC frame rate be set to on 788? ive heard to set it to 29.97. not sure if thats true.

-using wireless mics. when the receiver is plugged in, should the track be set to mic or line? 48k with mic?

- i have 4 lectrosonic 411a's all set to -20, with the transmitter gain around 11 o'clock. is this correct?

i know im working with a beast here so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much.

-palm

Oh, Mike...

...there's someone with some questions for you...

But, until Mike dons an appropriate hat and arrives:

Forgive my directness, but you're obviously in way over your head.  You don't know even the basics as it pertains to such a setup.  If you insist on forging ahead, then hook it up the way you think and, if something doesn't sound right, change it until it does.  

Don't phantom power wireless receivers, they can be line or mic level.

48k 24bit is standard film audio settings.

Whether they want true 30fps or 29.97 is something to discuss with the camera dpt.

Transmitter gain is dependent on level of audio source, whatever works for the situation.

Good luck.

An analogy:  

I plan to do brain surgery on someone tonight.  I have a good idea of where a brain is located and have borrowed an impressive pile of really shiny tools, but should probably learn what they are and how to use them.  Would someone please share the knowledge I need in order to perform a successful operation.

An analogy:

I plan to do brain surgery on someone tonight. I have a good idea of where a brain is located and have borrowed an impressive pile of really shiny tools, but should probably learn what they are and how to use them. Would someone please share the knowledge I need in order to perform a successful operation.

I'm glad you posed this question to the group.

First, sedate the patient with the largest, heaviest tool at your disposal.

Second, begin cutting into the patient near the area where the sedation was applied.

Third, once a soft, grayish, substance is found you're in the right area. Poke, prod, and tinker until the patient is cured.

Fourth, staple back together. Congratulations! You're a brain surgeon!

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

Sorry, I'm late...

traffic was terrible...

i have a couple basic questions that i need some advice on. "

Hi, Palms,

you are in way over your head. (thanks JB!)

RTFM

Read Jay Rose's book at www.dplay.com

you should call your friend who will enjoy a good laugh!

BTW: What are you shooting on ??

should I tell Palm about Tiger Woods ??  or Robin Hood ??

" something to discuss with the camera dpt. "

I'm betting Palms is the camera department... and probably doesn't know the difference ...that is, I'll bet his camcorder is actually at 29.97!!

" Im not a sound guy by any means. "

really..?

what are you by any means ??

hints:  green lights are usually good,  yellow ones are cautionary, red ones generally a major warning (like: recording or going to the limit)

given a choice, bigger numbers are better (192 is better than 96, which is better than 48...)

do a workflow test

" what should i set "

it depends

" is this correct? "

it depends

"  be set to mic or line "

it depends

poly or mono? "

it depends

rate be set to on 788? "

well...

it depends

" not sure if thats true. "

maybe...

that also...

depends

" 48k with mic? "

and of course,

that depends...

suggestion:  get a Zoom, that won't answer your questions either.

for even more fun,  next time borrow a Cantar!

Edited by studiomprd

I'm glad you posed this question to the group.

First, sedate the patient with the largest, heaviest tool at your disposal.

Second, begin cutting into the patient near the area where the sedation was applied.

Third, once a soft, grayish, substance is found you're in the right area. Poke, prod, and tinker until the patient is cured.

Fourth, staple back together. Congratulations! You're a brain surgeon!

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

I followed your instructions exactly, but am not sure if everything I did was right on.  I scooped out all that nasty-looking gray stuff, so hopefully, that will help.  Stapling into the skull was tricky but, by the time I had finished, I developed a feel for it and can't wait to do my next one.  

The patient hasn't complained at all since I finished -- that's a good sign?

Ok. You might get lucky. Everyone here is right. It's not a good idea to attempt on your own. I think, if your friend is good enough to lend you a $6000 recorder and presumably the $10000 worth of radios, he might be good enough to walk you through it, even on vacation.

I'm guessing you have embarked on a project, rented gear you don't understand because "sound is easy", and are now asking a group of people who make a living recording sound, "How can I do this project without you?"

You must have expected these responses.

But in short...

24 bit

WAV poly

+5 on 411, 11 o'clock on 400, line level on 788T, gain set so regular speaking voice goes to last green LED on 788T meter, limiter on factory settings, is a decent starting point.

hahahaha thanks for the help. StudioM, John and matt, GET A LIFE! Are you guys kidding me?!? As i stated before, im not a sound guy. Im just asking a couple basic questions. How fucking hard is it for you guys to not act like audio snobs. Did that make you feel better about yourselves? Horayyyy you understand audio. So if an amateur doesnt, lets bash on him. i thought these sites were for people to ask questions (even if they seem like the dumbest)  Thanks to the guys that actually answered. And thanks to the "Audio Gods" for the mature responses.

I'm not worry for the Palm. He will find the road.

I'm worry about friend who just leave a 6.650 euros recorder.

If I was a 6.650 euros recorder; not my friend, but I will not give the opportunity to my father to touch this.

I have some questions. I have a ARRI Alexa camera on my hand. The shoot is close-up.

How to calibrate the lights and camera to had that picture, like BBC documentaries?

It's only from sun light?

I need to go full zoom into the face and after to focus?

I thought these sites were for people to ask questions (even if they seem like the dumbest)

This particular site happens to be "owned" and run by a professional sound mixer. It was intended to be used by professional sound people to exchange knowledge and ideas, and also to chat about some other stuff with a group of people who have work in common.

Our host doesn't "exclude" amateurs, but many of us don't take kindly to people asking how to use professional equipment that we are typically paid to operate. It does send the message that "anyone can do sound". The truth is, most "amateurs" can record sound, some will get usable sound, fewer will get bits of good sound and bits of usable sound. But it's unlikely amateurs are going to do well. And bad sound makes for bad movies.

That's all. No reason to get upset and use bad language.

You might want to press the input button and check there's an asterisk next to tracks you want to record. If there isn't use the rotary scroll knob on the right hand end of the machine to scroll the focus to each track and press it in to place an asterisk for that track.

You can then use the trim pots on the front of the machine to enable (rotated right to an appropriate input level) or disable (rotated fully anti-clock to the click stop) the recording of each track. Don't forget to press the record button when you want to record.

Good luck

Wow, Palms, thanks for the gratitude.

I didn't bother to answer the questions since, it seemed to me, that Jesse had covered the basics.

The recommendation for the quick start guide was an honest attempt to get you to work with the machine through the quick start steps that would help you be more comfortable.   I could have cut and pasted the whole thing, but it is rather detailed and lengthy.

Good luck with your shoot, I am sure it will be stellar.

The reason there are so many settings is because different jobs require different setups. Sound Devices didn't put them there to scare off newbies. A lot of those settings change job to job, and are confirmed with an email between us and post. If you are recording music or ambience, then that's a whole different thing.

As for using wireless mic receivers at line level or mic level, there are different schools of thought on that one that you can google if you are curious. Which one you choose, as well as other gain settings along your audio chain, are the difference between recording clean audio and recording garbage. There is a lot more to this than a Radio Shack tape deck with a red button.

Just a warning, if you do not route your inputs to disc tracks, you won't actually record anything. That's probably already set up, but not if your buddy did a factory reset and handed the 788 to you. You are going to need to read the manual. I am pretty sure Sound Devices also have tutorial videos online, if you are not into reading.

hi,

First off, Im not a sound guy by any means. understand the basics. Long story short, I borrowed a 788t from a friend and he's out of the country.( Don't want to bug him on the family getaway)  i have a couple basic questions that i need some advice on. 

- what should i set the sample rate and bit depth to? 

48k.....     24bit

-file type-  poly or mono?

Poly

-ill be shooting at 30 frames. what should the TC frame rate be set to on 788? ive heard to set it to 29.97. not sure if thats true.

shooting 30, your rate should be 30.. or  29.97   I know nothing about film or video or anything concerning your workflow...... Hard to say in your case.

-using wireless mics. when the receiver is plugged in, should the track be set to mic or line? 48k with mic?

Lectros I run at 0 not -20.. (many do the minus 20... I do not...) If you do the -20, go mic level... At   0  I then run into the machine at line level...

No 48k for line level.. or mic level... unless you are plugging a mic directly into the machine without the Lectro wireless. If you plug a 48v boom mic directly into the 788, then use the 48 v powering on the 788.

- i have 4 lectrosonic 411a's all set to -20, with the transmitter gain around 11 o'clock. is this correct?

We covered the -20 thing, and as I said some do that...  then run mic level.. I dont...  Transmitter gain is set specific to each person and their level of loudness... The lectros have little lights, -10 and -20...  they light up green when sound goes through them..  The -10 should be green and the -20 should be green and barely flicker red at the loudest levels.... Funny, but on the transmitters you have... 12 noon is a good starting point.

i know im working with a beast here so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much.

-palPalm...

palPALM,

Everyone means well, I promise you... but we see this all too often.... and as has been mentioned, the thought that anyone can turn on a machine and point a mic is bullshit... but we are beat over the head often by producers who do not value the trade. The banter you have received results from that mind set. And, they are right for having it. Understand your place, understand ours...

I have to say... if your thread started with, I read the manual 10 times and I need some help, these guys would be fighting to lend some assistance, because they respect that, but no reading, no respect... simple enough...

You have to understand, this shit is not easy.... even a person who is a soundie coming from another machine will take a bit to get used to jumping on a 788T... There are MANY more things you need to worry about... arming tracks,  what is going to the LEFT or RIGHT track... or, just a LEFT mix track...assigning what outputs go where, you have 6 outputs... Clients director, VTR, Speaker..etc... what and how to route them and on and on.... as has been said in so many ways... you are in way over your head.... it really depends on how set up the machine was when you got it... if for some reason it was not, immediatly download the manual and read it until you go to work... I AM NOT KIDDING... fumbling around in front of the TV is one thing, but being locked out on the set is another....

Best of luck,

Bob

Sound recording is hardly surgery or piloting.

Nothing we do is life or death. Honestly, what's the worst that can happen? His own money is flushed down the toilet because the sound wasn't good.

I have far more issue with being undervalued on a professional shoot than having a weekend warrior having a go on his own.

But "afewmoreyears" did have a valid point. Reading a manual or book and asking questions would have been received better.

i have a quick flight next week in a Bell 206L-4 Long Ranger Helicopter. i'm not a pilot though.

just need to know fuel range and maximum takeoff weight. both feet on yaw pedals or just one?

decrease engine speed while lowering the collective lever? please help thanks.

Sorry Max, I can't jump in on this one, I'm still trying to wake up my brain surgery patient.  The lazy ingrate is just lying there motionless. 

He should have more appreciation for my efforts -- after all, I asked for help and everything. 

Please download the Sound Devices QuickStart guide for the 788, print it out, read it, play with the machine, play something you recorded back to make sure it stuck, shut the machine down, take the card out and play those files back on a computer just to make really sure you have it going on, take your print out with you to the job.  Don't get fancy or curious, just do the most basic job the gig will allow.   There, you're a soundie now.

philp