Protests in Turkey against dictator president.

enginufuk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Just found a can:

post-2749-0-00515100-1370139361_thumb.jp

And to all our friends, a big, fat ARMS contract...

(http://www.nonlethaltechnologies.com/37-SP.htm)

then...when you "savages" tear yourselves to pieces, WE will send an expeditionary brigade in, backed by a few carrier groups, WE will rebuild you, and extract big fat industrial concerns for our "efforts".

You don't want our special brand of democratic "freedom" ???... terrorists !!!

Why are they using a defoliant against protestors ?

Agent Orange is where the weed-killer "Roundup" came from.

Hell of a commitment to the reporting Vincent, stay shiny, stay safe.

best

They aren't. There was confusion when there were orange-coloured gas grenades in use. It is pepper spray gas, not Agent Orange.

Hmm yes, the pepper spray gas was already known, they also put some liquid form in the water canons... I am at home now get some rest, it's 6am here. The big square is on fire I just heard. And "battle" is still going strong in other areas.

Why are they using a defoliant against protestors ?

Agent Orange is where the weed-killer "Roundup" came from.

Hell of a commitment to the reporting Vincent, stay shiny, stay safe.

best

Yesterday I saw a picture of a car, a grenade "accidentally" came inside... Two people to overwhelmed by the gas to unbuckle their seatbelts...

Vincent, you know that your photos are considered legendary material in Turkey right now. Right?

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! and THANK YOU! for taking a risk and documenting what major media can't.

I have been at Zuccotti Park at manhattan all day yesterday, protesting. Today with my wife we were in Time Square protesting all day. (illegally) 

My brother is at Cihangir, Istanbul since the first day. He is helping providing medicine, gas masks, etc... to people between Taksim and Cihangir. 

I wish you the best And I'm EXTREMELY honored that a non-Turkish colleague of mine is there and documenting for the world. 

PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

I was staying a few blocks from Taksim Square for a few days just last month, visiting Istanbul with my girlfriend. As we arrived from the airport, we noticed a large number of police in riot gear. Apparently they had clashed with protesters earlier. A few days later, we were walking from a ferry along the Bosphorus below the Taksim Square section when we noticed an endless number of police in riot gear. As we continued walking down the busy street flanking the Bosphorus, we saw more and more cops, interspersed with civilians who were coughing, squinting and looking generally uncomfortable. Then we smelled teargas -- though it was faint. We never found out what that was about.

We walked along that main street (Istiklall Caddesi) several times during our short stay. As someone who has been involved with the Occupy movement from the start, I find these protests admirable and the state reaction infuriating... but all-too-predictable.

I briefly met a Turkish ENG sound guy in the general vicinity of Topkapi Palace, working with a British crew (as I recall) on a promotional video for Istanbul to host the Olympics. I don't know his name, however.

I've attached some photos and a video link* from the Turkish protest support demonstration in Santa Monica which I went to about 12 hours ago.

post-7834-0-93766400-1370246579_thumb.jppost-7834-0-78652100-1370246584_thumb.jppost-7834-0-24985300-1370246589_thumb.jpTurkishSaMo.mov

Just went outside. Demonstrations are still going strong. They now are using some gas you can not see, no smoke whatsoever. Helicopters flying all over the city and throwing the bombs. Very strong stuff as well. Couldn't see a thing for a while.

It was a widespread false rumor yes. But the gas they used yesterday was quite different and stronger than from the days before. People got ill instantly and burning mouth and throats. No white smoke and dropped from helicopters.

Today it started quite easy again. Just moments ago at the park;

post-1632-137036800313.jpg

Breathing CS gas is not a very pleasant feeling - not just like an irritant, but when in concentrated form you get the sensation you are choking and cannot breath, then your lungs run out of oxygen, you inhale bigger, and more CS goes into your lungs, causing a violent reaction - akin to inhaling water or something, you choke out your breath and then gasp for more air only to have more CS come in.  It really does feel like you are dying and cannot breath.  I had an unfortunate incident involving equipment failure where I had to stay in a room with a highly concentrated mixture for about 10 to 15 minutes without a working gas mask.  It took me about 10 minutes to finally get used to the choking dying feeling, becoming comfortable with the reality that I was in fact getting oxygen, despite the fact that my body was convulsing and telling me that it was starving for air.  Lots of snot...

Stay safe Vincent and anyone else over there.  My thoughts go with you and the people of Turkey.

There was another demonstration yesterday in front of the CNN building in Hollywood, decrying the lack of news coverage by CNN Turkey (and other media outlets) and further supporting the protesters. Here are some pictures I took, and a link to some of the video footage I shot last night and edited today:

post-7834-0-62270900-1370404615_thumb.jp

post-7834-0-97243100-1370408143_thumb.jp

post-7834-0-25781800-1370408195_thumb.jp