Lectrosonics SRb vs UCR411a

Parapluie

I believe that now with the SRb, it doesn't matter if freq 1 is lower than freq 2. Something about the physics inside are different in the SRb so this is no longer necessary.

Correct. Also, if you have an SRa get it upgraded to an SRb. The bargain price of $250 is going to go up at the end of July.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I just thought I'd jump in because this is such an interesting discussion, especially with Professor Senator's mathematical treatment!

From a "firmware guy" perspective, the SMQV and SMDB differ in terms of which compatibility modes and RF power levels are enabled. The SMDB is fixed at 50 mW, whereas the SMQV can be set for 50, 100 or 250 mW.  The SMQV offers six compatibility modes: 100 Series, 200 Series, "Mode 3", Digital Hybrid (higher deviation version), IFB, and "Mode 6".  If I remember correctly, the SMDB offers three compatibility modes: "Mode 3" (with enhanced limiter for European compliance), Digital Hybrid (lower deviation version), and IFB (also with enhanced limiter, if I remember correctly).

The two versions of Mode 3 are compatible, as are the two versions of IFB mode, but the two versions of Digital Hybrid don't interoperate correctly, due to the different deviation levels.  If you use a low deviation transmitter with a high deviation receiver, the result will be that the transmitter could be in limiting and the receiver is still not showing full scale on the meter.  The other way is worse: if you use a high deviation transmitter with a low deviation receiver, the receiver could clip in situations where the transmitter gives no warning.  I'm also not sure what the disparity in deviation levels might do to the character of the noise floor.

Oh, and another subtle point about those different deviation levels: the high deviation Digital Hybrid mode does a better job of hiding the diversity switching "ticks" than the low deviation version.  The SRb of course offers ratio mode, with no diversity ticks, but then you have a more expensive channel.

Fanatically,

-DT

I have gotten Lectro rx/tx in mode 3 to work with Sennheiser G3 series and Mode 6 to work with Shure PG series. Does this have anything to do with the higher/lower devation as well? 

" I have gotten Lectro rx/tx in mode 3 to work with Sennheiser G3 series and Mode 6 to work with Shure PG series. Does this have anything to do with the higher/lower devation as well? "

of course.. and of course.

"Was it pretty easy to change settings on the fly as with the 411? "

even easier (LecNet)

• 2 months later...

(edit: I was going to quote my post but ended up editing it so now it's gone... the post was about how I thought the UCR211 got better range than my SRb)

I have to correct myself. In a quick test at home my UCR211 seemed to perform better than the SRb but in the field the SRb beats it by far, even with a lower power transmitter. I still think a used 211 is a good alternative if you're on a budget, plus it does sound really good and the noise is really low.