MOTU 896 mk 3 Hybrid issues.

Hello,

I am currently trying to use 3 MOTU 896 mk 3 Hybrid units. Is anyone else doing this with a laptop? I was only able to get this to work by using both separate FireWire connections on my MacBook Pro. I made an aggregate device and linked 2 MOTU's off one FireWire port and one MOTU off the other FireWire port. Metacorder sees this no problem. But, is there a way to get all of my inputs to show up, post metacorder, on the headphone jack of just one MOTU box? Metacorder has no menu that allows me to select a signal path for my headphones out. Currently I have to use the 1/8" on the MacBook itself. It works, but is not ideal.

Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

When I've used Metacorder in the past, I generally have monitored within the external mixer and not in Metacorder. I do check Metacorder and make test recordings to make sure all is well, and I periodically check the file during breaks when I get a chance. I can't recall a way to monitor specific channels during the record mode, either with Metacorder or with Boom Recorder

When I tried this with 4 MOTU boxes (2x Traveler+ 2x 8Pre into the Travelers via ADAT) in aggro device I ended up having to "submix" the headphone outs from the 2 Travelers in an external box (Rolls MX28).  Not ideal.  BR is supposed to be able to make a monitor out but I guess I was too stupid or too pressed to figure it out so I went the bonehead way.  On a laptop I had a lot of trouble with MC and with MOTU CueMix re really knowing what was going on--I couldn't get nearly enough channels on the screen at once for my taste.

philp

Thanks, guys! I ended up connecting all the channels via ADAT to the "top" MOTU #1. Then everything shows up in CueMix for that device. From there I could route all to one output on the unit itself (main out 1). I aggregated all 3 units and had that set as my device in metacorder. Then, I went to the Mac's system preferences>sound settings and selected JUST the MOTU #1, not the aggregate, as my sound output. Then I could use the headphone out on the MOTU #1 to monitor all the tracks going through metacorder. This uses a LOT of bandwidth on the FireWire, so you need a fast computer. Faster than MOTU's minimum recommendation we found. Also, it helped a lot to have sync between the MOTU's coming from a Big Ben word clock rather than using the internal MOTU clock. It seemed to bog down the FireWire port having sync, 24 channels of analog audio and 16 channels of ADAT on it. I wish you could selectively remove inputs from the FireWire bus as we only needed 18 channels to go to Metacorder. Not the ideal setup and we're looking at other methods for the next shoot.