Hello, 

I am producing a low budget play in Los Angeles and we are looking for a sound designer! We need someone that is familiar with theatre productions. You will be needed for an initial creative meeting with the director, and then the Tech Rehearsals. The Stage Manager will carry out your cues and design for the actual performances.

Here are some details:

Play - "Jesus Hopped the A Train"

Where - The Lyric Theatre, Los Angeles, CA 

When - rehearsals: July 8th - Aug. 1st, Tech Aug. 3rd - 6th, Dress Rehearsal Aug. 7th - 8th

weekday rehearsals will be tentatively from 7p - 10p, weekends 10a - 5p

performances: Aug. 9th - 25th (weekends only - Friday and Saturday at 8p, Sundays at 3pm)

This is a low budget, not for profit play, so we can offer our Sound Designer $250 for this production. 

Please contact me if you are interested! 

Thanks, 

Devon Colbert 

devoncolbert@gmail.com 

Devon is friend gentlemen, and she is looking for someone to help her on her project.  I referred her to JWSound, because this is the place one goes for advice and assistance.  If someone knows a Sound Designer, that Designer may have a younger colleague or assistant who may want to try doing a project on their own.  Someone else who is learning production sound may also be interested in getting experience tackling a theater play.

George

I love the title of this thread, "Sound Designer Needed for Play".

I'm always up for play. I work too darned hard, and love to take a break. What will it be... Monopoly? Hide and seek? D-and-D type game? Something more adult...?

Oh.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, nothing like reinforcing the notion that working 10 days for $250 is acceptable.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

I know, before I did film I was a theatre sound designer/composer. I worked for some well known places. I would work a month or so or more for rates I can make in 3 days doing this job. It's all about demand...plays were never supposed to have sound and that is the main reason why I got out :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks George!! I appreciate the help ... and Jason, good to hear from you! :)

Just to be clear, its not 10 days of work for $250, its an initial meeting with the director (1 day), then Tech (dates are still flexible, but its looking like 3 days as of now)... so 4 nights of work for $250. 

Yes, that's basically nothing, I know, but as George said I am looking for a referral for someone who may just be starting out or someone interested in getting into theater sound design. Or this could just be an easy way for an assistant to make a few bucks over hiatus before most productions start up again. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, the theatre secene in Kansas City must be pretty poor. Average sound design fee for a top theatre company (National Theatre, etc.) here in the UK is $6,000. For musicals, more like $10,000 plus a share of the profits.

"Plays were never supposed to have sound..." What does this mean? Only David Mamet plays don't have sound - it's in the contract - but there's been sound and sound design in theatre for over two thousand years.

And if the OP needs some free sound effects, I'll happily oblige.

John

Wow, the theatre secene in Kansas City must be pretty poor. Average sound design fee for a top theatre company (National Theatre, etc.) here in the UK is $6,000. For musicals, more like $10,000 plus a share of the profits.

"Plays were never supposed to have sound..." What does this mean? Only David Mamet plays don't have sound - it's in the contract - but there's been sound and sound design in theatre for over two thousand years.

And if the OP needs some free sound effects, I'll happily oblige.

John

My apologies John, I meant that they don't necessarily need sound to be a great production. In fact most of the best ones I have seen personally have very little if any sound. With film not being around for thousands of years the current trend in some theatre is spectacle using modern technology and IMO film wipes the floor with these type of productions unless live music/dance is happening. Yes, only really top notch theatre companies can pay a decent sound designer, but as far as I know those rates are way more than anything I've experienced in the midwest. Most would laugh at you. Now it wasn't always that way one of my professors during college duringthe tape days made very close to what you were talking about, but now...not so much.

I love the title of this thread, "Sound Designer Needed for Play".

I'm always up for play. I work too darned hard, and love to take a break. What will it be... Monopoly? Hide and seek? D-and-D type game? Something more adult...?

Oh.

LOL...something more adult...

that had me busting up.