Phase between boom and lav

markfarrowaudiopost

A lot of mixers have a phase flip on their second (and fourth) channels for MS flipping. The 302 and 442 only have flips on channel 2, so I'd use 2 for the pole and 1 and 3 (and 4) for lavs if I needed to flip it the pole. I have found that my NTG3 is out of phase with my Senns, although I usually just make a note of it and recommend post flip it. I was thinking of making a couple of phase flip cables, but you can buy adapters for about £5. 

Exactly. Individual microphone polarity is, to some extent, inconsequential. What matters is the phase relationship between distant and close mics.

Right. I was going to say 'how do you know?' but this post and the one above it lead in the correct direction.

It's worth noting that inverting polarity on a solo channel does change the sound, particularly on sounds with large transients or uneven positive and negative halves of the cycle. So there is value to having polarity reversal available, though on a shoot where the relationship between close mic and distant mic is constantly changing, there really isn't one "correct" setting. In terms of clarity in all forms of recording the ideal would be to capture everything with a single point source microphone or microphone array, but of course this isn't always (or usually) possible.