Reliable 664 media

Keith Highley

This afternoon a friend pointed out that any issues he's ever heard of with the 664 stem from using unapproved cards. I've used a Kensington sd card a number of times, with no issues. I also happen to be flush with Lexar cards that are of similar (or better) specs than some of the approved Sandisk cards. That said, perhaps I've just been lucky... just ordered a few cards from the approved list. 

Hi,

there are only a few recommended media for the SD664 on Sound Devices' web-site and two of the three SD cards are too big for every day use:  64GB (both Sandisk SDXC) while the other 16GB card is a Delkin Devices (not many of those in UK).

I mostly just need a batch of 8GB SD cards that I can hand the client at the end of the days shoot. Can anyone confirm by experience with the 664 which work and which don't?

Many thanks,

Steve

I'm amazed someone would spend 3 and a half grand on a piece of kit, then buy cheap media. When I bought my 664, the first thing I did was buy the recommended media, not sure why anyone would do different. I'm sure there are lots of cards not on the list that work fine, well, until they don't work fine that is.......

Yes I did read it, all cards not mentioned on the SD site can be considered unreliable, folks may have used them successfully, but only the ones SD recommend can be used and relied upon.

I never hand cards to production at the end of the day, if they insist, and pay for the time, then I'll copy to their drive, otherwise I use Dropbox when I get home, while I'm pouring my first beer the files are uploading. I'd much rather do that than use media that hasn't been tested.

Yes I did read it, all cards not mentioned on the SD site can be considered unreliable, folks may have used them successfully, but only the ones SD recommend can be used and relied upon.

I never hand cards to production at the end of the day, if they insist, and pay for the time, then I'll copy to their drive, otherwise I use Dropbox when I get home, while I'm pouring my first beer the files are uploading. I'd much rather do that than use media that hasn't been tested.

Ok, I take your point Jon.

Yes Amazon

" I need something smaller than theose that are reccomended on the site "

you could ask SD if lower capacity versions of the approved cards are included in their recommendations...

Aw, ...can't we dance around the issue for a while?

Ok, I did just that and called. They're continuing their work on getting the device stable before putting every card through its paces and there is a firmware update on its way, apparantly....after which, maybe a few more will get tested.

The advice (if requiring lower capacity) is to stick with reccomended models that have the same codes and build. Considering the higher capacity SD card is SDXC. that leaves one card, - the Delkin. Now I just need to go to that UK tax dodging Amazon and I'll be home and dry.

Many thanks,

Steve