Essential kit for mixing sound in the central american jungle!

jassim jaffer

Hi chaps...

Im possibly off to the jungle for three months on a reality job.. any good tips for bits and bobs to take down with me (other than a lot of silicone packets, condoms, back gear and the like)

I believe its the rainy season over there and really want to protect my kit as much as i can..

cheers..

I would put waterproof wireless and lavaliers high on that list. Ditto with raincovers for boom, parkas, humidity-resistant shotgun mics, and several good pairs of boots.

Jonathan Chiles at www.filmsoundafrica.com is in South Africa and has commented on shooting in jungles before. There were also some comments on reality shoots in jungle environments in this thread:

Consulting with a physician and getting all shots beforehand is an absolute must, as is insurance and medical considerations. 

I would also add some kind of talcum powder and topical anti fungal cream. Nothing worse than walking all day with chafed bits.

Worked on a doco on the SAS where one of the DS trainers commented on melting down your chap stick to combat this. Needless to say none of us ever asked to borrow his chap stick.