A quick question about Nomad and AES signal

Karri

Hi,

I have an AES breakout cable (terminating in XLR) for my Nomad and also the Remote Audio mixer cable for Nomad. I'm wondering if it's possible to successfully and reliably transmit an AES signal through the Remote Audio cable? It would be into a Sony XDCAM (don't have one handy for testing).

I think I remember reading somewhere a good while ago that it's possible to run into problems running an AES signal through "regular" audio cables, so I wanted to check.

Thanks!

the super cmit2u can run audio through a "regular" audio cable.

I only check with qrx's aes output which you can not use a "regular" audio cable, i would GUESS nomad's aes output can't run through a "regular" cable as well, i might be wrong but you can just run a test.

a 110 ohm cable is optimal for AES, but the signal travels just fine on a regular audio cable.  The impedance mis match will become more and more problematic as your cable length increases.  If you're on an eng style shoot, your snake will probably be pretty short, and I doubt you'd ever notice the difference.

If you ever want to do long runs, Mogami makes multi channel AES snake cable.

Where did you get the AES breakout cable? Did you make it yourself?

The guys at Pinknoise Systems made it for me. Nice customer service over there.

The ENG cable/snake I have is 17 feet + the camera end so I guess around 18 feet/5.5 metres in total. I would think most people don't consider this long so maybe I'll be fine. Hope I get to test it soon.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but wich cameras to your knowledge can increase the amount of channels (more than two) it can record if fed aes audio?

Thanks!

So far I don't really know others than the "big boy" XDCAMs. They seem common here in Finland for anything that has a half-decent budget. One would think that Panasonic also had some models with 4 channels?

So far I don't really know others than the "big boy" XDCAMs. They seem common here in Finland for anything that has a half-decent budget. One would think that Panasonic also had some models with 4 channels?

As far as i know sony XD cams are the only camera that will take AES. There are no Panasonic cameras that I know of that does AES.

• 1 month later...

I return to the subject at hand. I'm now prepping the Nomad for a gig, but I can't for the life of me find out how to map channels to the AES outputs? The Nomad manual says:

You can use any combination of these outputs with your Nomad. The output channel number is written on each cable. You can assign these outputs to any channel(s).

However there's no mention of how to achieve this. Or do the channels directed to analog outputs 1, 2, 3 etc automatically get sent to the AES outs as well?

Thanks!

I return to the subject at hand. I'm now prepping the Nomad for a gig, but I can't for the life of me find out how to map channels to the AES outputs? The Nomad manual says:

You can use any combination of these outputs with your Nomad. The output channel number is written on each cable. You can assign these outputs to any channel(s).

However there's no mention of how to achieve this. Or do the channels directed to analog outputs 1, 2, 3 etc automatically get sent to the AES outs as well?

I believe that's the case. I'm sure someone here will confirm it.

Jack,

No digital inputs on this gig. So, just to make sure, I need only to route my analog inputs to outputs as if I was using analog cables, and it should come out of the digital outs as well, without any additional setting somewhere?