Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

Sorry, I should explain that I do a bunch of unscripted doc type projects in addition to scripted narrative. Sometimes unexpected things happen. Despite what some people think, having the audio can save the day and they can patch something for video till cameras are up. Throw prerecord in that situation, and you can get a lot of unexpected gold.

With my Fusion on narrative cart jobs, I used to use lunch to mirror to an external FireWire drive as a backup to the CF mirror cards that got rotated to production.

How fast does it turn on? I will not be using any sort of external battery and with my current SD Mix-pre set-up, I just turn it off in between takes because it can turn on so fast. I'm hoping Maxx will do the same. Regardless, I'm getting one.

Maxx boots up in about 5 seconds with a formated card. Longer without a card because it is looking for a card.

I wonder how these will be allocated as base configuration vs "maxxed out"?  There might be a shorter wait for one or the other, and if I had to guess, would think the max version which is more expensive and not everyone needs could be available soonest unless pre-ordered.

I wonder how these will be allocated as base configuration vs "maxxed out"? There might be a shorter wait for one or the other, and if I had to guess, would think the max version which is more expensive and not everyone needs could be available soonest unless pre-ordered.

All Maxx's are built the same - the transmitter and AES options are modular hardware boards and can be added to any Maxx. So if you order a base Maxx the machine is exactly the same as a Maxx to the Max. So if Zaxcom builds a Maxx it can shipped to anyone who ordered one regardless of the options.

Made it through the manual and when reading the pinout of the AES connector I noticed a "Link in 5/6" connection, it isn't mentioned anywhere else in the manual. Glenn or Jack, any insight?

Link in uses AES input pair 5/6 of Maxx to input an AES output pair from another Maxx or even a Nomad.

So basically it is a way to expand Maxx and give it additional inputs. So you could mix 4 inputs on one Maxx and output it to a second Maxx via AES.

Side note on those cars:

I was temped to buy one (it was a hybrid Honda) a few years ago but it had that auto turn off feature. Thank heavens I test drove it in the summer and found out that when the car turns off, so does the AC. You would cook at the intersections. A deal breaker.

Civic Hybrids prior to 2006 did shut off AC when they shut off the gas engine. I owned the newly designed 2006, which didn't, and which I liked much better than the Prius at the time. I now have a 2010 Prius, the first year of the latest redesign. It's brilliant.

And while I love the fact that my cars turn off at intersections and start up seamlessly, I would not recommend it for recorders.

How's that for steering the tangent back on topic? ...sort of.

Robert

BTW- Zaxcom has posted a PDF of the Maxx user Manual. Here's the link:

Maxx User Manual – July 2013 Revision (4.79 MB)

Did read the manual, and it looks like its exactly what I needed. I preorderd one and waiting with smart on it. The most important things are quick access to:  panning, lp filter and monitoring. I ll do a lot of documentary where unexpectable things happen. First thing off all is that its rock steady.  Don t let me alone with struggeling to get the thing working.

Best Ton

" Don t let me alone with struggeling to get the thing working. "

Early adopters of (often cutting edge) new products are potentially vulnerable to initial bugs that need to be resolved...

so in that regard,  waiting a bit for later production runs may save some "pioneer's hassels"

Edited by studiomprd

" Don t let me alone with struggeling to get the thing working. "

Early adopters of cutting edge new products are potentially vulnerable to initial bugs that need to be resolved...

so in that regard,  waiting a bit for later production runs may save some "pioneer's hassels"

I don't look at Maxx as a new product. It is a baby Nomad. I played with it on Monday and it has all the bells and whistles.

Maxx will come out a finished product and I can not wait to build the smallest sound bag around it. So many times when I work smaller jobs I have to carry my nomad 12 bag with all my wireless which is a overkill.

With Maxx I will have 2 qrx100 " one of them with zaxnet for ifb and wireless Time Code". No extra transmitters since it is integrated in to Maxx. Aes from qrx100s will keep the bottom of the unit free to sit in a small bag.

If somebody told me 3 years ago that there would be a cheaper zaxcom unit that does so much I would have laughed.