Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

Re reading the manual jack, I can't find how to quickly check return signal from camera and wiring doesn't seem to be listed for return or ta5 bus connectors, the Tape/mono connector would appear to be 2 x bal outputs , example if I wanted to send L and R to a stereo IEM would I select L on Tape and R on Mono wired using only the + , i was hoping Tape output would have Unbal 2 channel ie L and R seperately, and Mono would be a mono sum of whatever I wanted..realise manual s a first addition with bits to add..thanks..richard

The camera return can be programed in one of the 10 headphone setups. The return can monitor as a two channel "stereo" return from one camera or two mono returns from two cameras. The image below shows return 1 is assigned to the left ear and 2 to the right.

The wiring for the camera return input is standard 5 pin wiring:

Pin 1 - ground

Pin 2 - L +

Pin 3 - L -

Pin 4 - R +

Pin 5 - R -

I will make sure that it gets added to the manual.

Mono signal comes out of pin 2 and 3 on the TA5 - so you would assign your left signal in the mono assign and right in the tape.

post-1067-0-56701200-1374352918_thumb.jp

To ask again: what's the deal with inputs 5 & 6 - can they be recorded as iso's instead of the mix L&R?

Input 5 and 6?

Are your referring to AES inputs?

Maxx has 4 analog inputs and 2 AES pairs which give you 4 digital inputs. Any one of the 8 total inputs can be assigned to any one of the record tracks. So for example a 6 track Maxx can record 6 iso's and no mix tracks if you choose. 

Below is an example of 4 digital inputs going to tracks 1 thru 4, and analog inputs 1 and 2 going to tracks 5 and 6 

post-1067-0-17007600-1374355250_thumb.jp

Great idea Richard!...that makes the maxx really appealing to me now. Having the 6 channel iso option + sending a stereo mix to a camera link (with timecode!) makes a lot of sense. However it would be hard to monitor the mix...correct me if i'm wrong....

Also how would you use the aja ada4 for the extra AES inputs?...let's say i want to add two receivers on top of the 4 analog inputs. How do you connect the receivers to the aja ada4?...sorry for the question, i'm just a bit confused when it comes to AES stuff...

Thanks!

Great idea Richard!...that makes the maxx really appealing to me now. Having the 6 channel iso option + sending a stereo mix to a camera link (with timecode!) makes a lot of sense. However it would be hard to monitor the mix...correct me if i'm wrong....

You could set up your headphone routing to listen to the output busses, while recording the 6 inputs (4A, 2D) to their own tracks.

Then you would be listening to what you are mixing/sending to camera.

Yes, Jack, I was referring to inputs 5 & 6 on the Multipin input (presumably the same as the AES inputs?). At any rate, if 6 iso's are an option, that is exactly what i wanted to hear. I assume all these routing options - tracks, busses, and headphones are saveable as presets?

The other useful option, in a future update, would be to route the return inputs to the bus, and as potential iso's to give an extra analogue stereo in.

Well, I'd prefer to know now, the screen grab Jack posted seems to support his statement that you can. It is surely either yes or no, so which is it, Zax?

It is yes.

In the original layout of Maxx you were limited to record 4 iso and 2 Mix bus tracks. The 4 iso tracks could be any combination of analog or digital inputs - but limited to 4. Then if you wanted to record two more iso tracks they would have to be routed to the output busses then you would have to assign the busses to the mix tracks. A pain in the ass to achieve but doable.

Then not being content with the roundabout way of assigning 6 iso tracks Howy preformed some magic with the software so that there are now no limitations in what can be routed to each record track.

So now any track can record any one of the analog inputs, digital inputs or mix busses.