Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

I'm gonna wager it's possible to use a combination of the 4 analogue inputs and AES inputs to get to 6 ISO's but NOT possible to use the returns like you can on Nomad.

Justin you win. The camera returns are not routable to the record tracks.

Not sure why you would need it anyway - since more likely than not you will be sending the camera your mix busses. And since your mix busses are routable to the record tracks there is no need to record them as returns as well.

Not sure why you would need it anyway - since more likely than not you will be sending the camera your mix busses. And since your mix busses are routable to the record tracks there is no need to record them as returns as well.

Good to know. I meant more in the fashion that on Nomad you can use them as an additional 4 analogue inputs rather than returns.

I don't  remember if i asked this before, yet is there a digital fader for the 2- aes digital inputs?

There are virtual faders for any input if you are using more than 4. There are only AES inputs IF you order the AES input option, otherwise it's just outputs.

i thought for sure this would possible, like on a 302.

I don't  remember if i asked this before, yet is there a digital fader for the 2- aes digital inputs?

The AES option gives you 4 digital inputs on 2 AES pairs.

Maxx gives you several choices on how to mix them.

You can assign any one of the digital input to any one of the hardware faders and fade them that way.

You also have a virtual fader screen - like Nomad has. Plus you have the ability to mix and trim the digital inputs from the ENG screen - the same as mixing inputs 7 thru 10 on Nomad

post-1067-0-07851000-1374460944_thumb.jp

post-1067-0-84635000-1374461133_thumb.jp

No, of course there would be no point in recording return from camera. I was thinking of more like the 302, where you can press the return buss into service as an extra line level analogue in, when it is required. The advantage of that would be that you would not need radios or a second mixer with AES outputs. It's been tremendously useful on the 302.  Flexibility, yes!

No, of course there would be no point in recording return from camera. I was thinking of more like the 302, where you can press the return buss into service as an extra line level analogue in, when it is required. The advantage of that would be that you would not need radios or a second mixer with AES outputs. It's been tremendously useful on the 302.  Flexibility, yes!

I was really hoping this would be possible.

~$3200 for a Maxx with 6 channel recording and AES input options. Add 900 for a mix-preD and we're in Nomad territory. I would seldom need this, but it would be a god-send in a pinch.

Reading the manual re track count vs sample rate:

Sample rates over 48048 are limited to 4 tracks or less.

How many tracks are enabled with 96khz recording? How many with 192khz?

I'm also curious if 3 or 4 tracks are possible at 192khz for surround recording.

Only 2 tracks at 192khz: Got someone to test the unit for me at SMPTE in Sydney.

Had a look at Maxx today at SMPTE. A couple of things I noticed, it doesn't seem to have a dedicated track enable option. Rather it uses the card bus. A choice of input 1, 2, 3, 4, out 1, out 2 or None. Making it a little slower than the records enable page. Nor does it seem to have a short cut to the meta data page. These are the two most common menu items I find my self using after my rig is set up for the day on the Nomad. I may have simply missed something in all fairness. Chris was busy helping someone else so I didn't ask any further questions. All said I found myself looking at bags afterwards thinking 'What would Maxx look good in."

Oh and I shouldn't have looked at Zax wireless. I can see another near purchase.

Though with a Nomad the TA5 "return" input is balanced, and the 302 is an unbalanced minijack. 

The Nomad's TA5 return is nice because it's small and light. If you are using a QRX in the bag, you can get a single TA5-TA5 cable for 2 channels of audio, instead of 2 XLRs. 

I'll vote for 5.1 so I can do Native surround at 192kHzm though 7.1 would be better...

Sarcastic comments like this are unnecessary and unwanted.

You know it's a 4 track + mix bus recorder, making this sort of comment has no bearing on the conversation, and seems like your only aim is to be a nuisance, or condescend upon everything anyone says. Please stop.

" no bearing on the conversation, "

you are correct, it is not an election.

so, how long do batteries run ??

So your problem is with my use of the word vote?

As even you have stated, the manufacturers of the specialized equipment we use follow these conversations, and Zaxcom has proven to take the needs and desires of their customers seriously when designing their gear. As Jack mentioned the track count at 192k might not be finalized, so customer feedback in the form of votes could give them an idea of how many people would use that capability. It doesn't have to be an election to be useful info.

The plan is to have as many tracks available at 192 that Maxx can do.

When Howy finishes doing the magic that he does we will know if Maxx will do 2,3,4,5 or even 6 track at 192.

Stay tuned ...

YES!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk