Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

Tested the little guy today ;)

Sounds nice!

Only bug so far is that I cant transfer 1 recording to my Protools. Its just noise or loud clicks. Tried Zaxconvert but that didnt help :-/

But still plays fine in the Maxx(!) I remember deleting a segment thru thr Maxx interface before doing that particular recording... Maybe thats a possible explanation?

Anyhow, still really pleased with my purchase and looking forward to my Tuesday shoot :P

Hi Jack,

There is no issue with my Protools. My forte is post and i can assure you that my rig is solid and I know Protools very well (been running it since v4!). The issue is with this particular recording... I still thank you for your support, very much appreciated.

I should add that my other recordings were imported suceesfully and sounded very good. The mix pres on the Maxx are playing fine with my kmr81i and Audix scx1 hc...

Franky

Hi Jack 

Been here & enjoyed for some time But this my first post... I will get around to putting my Bio up.

I just received a Maxx to demo... Very nice sound... After some menu flumoxing... I feel comfortable now !.

I just went out & got a 32G Kingston 266 card to play with.  Went to format &  It won't do  MARF just Fat32.... 

The Maxx came with firmware ver0.95  62rev  I have registered at Zaxcom.Com. But am not allowed to download ver 1.00

Would be nice to play with it tonight & tomorrow (it's a Holiday in Canada)

I was hoping you or someone could lead me to another download location ( I did search!)

Thanks   Stewie

Stewie,

PM your email address and I can email you the software.

As far as I recall there should be no issue formatting the cards in version .95

But the new version makes some changes to PFL mode as well as the virtual faders. Plus there was some nice upgrades and improvements to 192K recording - which will be nice to play with.

Just got Maxx today (Woohoo!) and decided to bypass AES inputs for now-- wait till the dust settles w/ feature set and decide whether or not to upgrade later.

My question for you AES users-- Can I see photos of how you're actually using it? While it seems super cool capabilities-wise, I'm concerned that it may present some ergonomic issues....

On the Nomad thread there is a discussion about the ability to phase reverse both inputs to tracks and headphone monitoring. This allows MS decoding to recorded tracks, or MS decoded monitoring. Can someone please let me know if this is available in the Maxx? I had a run through of it yesterday, but we couldn't find these possibilities, though it may have been lack of familiarity.

The only thing I wasn't keen on in Maxx was the position of the star key seems really awkward, when you want to flip between home screens, tucked behind those knobs - pity it wasn't up front, say where the tone button is, which is not going to be needed in a hurry, or very often in a day.

On the Nomad thread there is a discussion about the ability to phase reverse both inputs to tracks and headphone monitoring. This allows MS decoding to recorded tracks, or MS decoded monitoring. Can someone please let me know if this is available in the Maxx? I had a run through of it yesterday, but we couldn't find these possibilities, though it may have been lack of familiarity.

The only thing I wasn't keen on in Maxx was the position of the star key seems really awkward, when you want to flip between home screens, tucked behind those knobs - pity it wasn't up front, say where the tone button is, which is not going to be needed in a hurry, or very often in a day.

The phase invert does exist in Maxx there was a one version of software where it wasn't engaging. It is fixed in the newer software.

As for the star key I generally push it with my pin key finger.

+ 1 on the awkward star key placement. Swapping it places with the tone button is brilliant! The star key in indeed used much more frequently and is difficult, pinkey finger or no. I hope Glenn, Howy and company would consider the swap potential on future orders of the face pads. Great idea!

Jack, could you be more specific. As I said, I need to know the MS options - can I decode to LR while recording, and do I also have the option to monitor decoded MS whilst recording raw MS? I need a definitive answer but it is proving hard to get. If this phase invert option exists on both record buss and headphone matrix, is it easily saved as a preset for future use.

Jack, could you be more specific. As I said, I need to know the MS options - can I decode to LR while recording, and do I also have the option to monitor decoded MS whilst recording raw MS? I need a definitive answer but it is proving hard to get. If this phase invert option exists on both record buss and headphone matrix, is it easily saved as a preset for future use.

Yes you can.

There was a version of software where the phase invert wasn't on the HP setup wasn't working (don't recall which version)

It has since been repaired and is working.