Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

Hey, Wyatt, some pretty bold statements, most not even having any relation to reality and some being downright un-true and slanderous.

"I honestly feel that the major downfall with Zax, in general, is that they rush products into availability before they are fully completed just to 'beat the competition'."

First of all, what is this "downfall" that you refer to? As for "beating the competition" many of the most progressive products created by Zaxcom have not had any competition: the first Deva I, the first and only location file-based recorder, the first all digital wireless microphone systems followed by wireless transmitters that are both transmitters, receivers with IFB and timecode recorders (still no competition to this day), first wireless boom operator box with built in IFB and local monitoring with recording (no competition there), first camera hop with IFB confidence return and backup recording, first integrated wireless remote control for all significant settings of wireless transmitters (including preamp gain, frequency, record start and stop) with Zaxnet also providing wireless audio and timecode monitoring with multiple applications (high quality boom op monitoring, director and script w/timecode readout and use as an audio and timecode to camera that replaces most sync boxes), and the list goes on. So, as to releasing things early "just to beat the competition" isn't a statement that means anything.

"It has become a bit of a running joke regarding promised (and unrealized) features."

Where is this running joke circulating? Possibly amongst the users of all these competitive products that were released on schedule, seemingly had no problems or hiccups when introduced, or from the rather large group of highly vocal sound people who have never used any Zaxcom gear?

"Somehow (possibly through a network of 'endorsements') they have drummed up a devout following who see them as completely infallible."

Now, this is totally ridiculous. This reminds me of all the statements that were made (and to some extent continue to be made) regarding products from Apple. Things like "Apple has only been successful because of this tiny number of cult-like followers who have drunk the Kool-Aid". Any real world polling of the millions and millions of people who use Apple products everyday is the simplest refutation of this type of thinking. Zaxcom didn't "drum up" some sort of following and then we were all coerced into "endorsing" their products (and none of us have ever referred to any of the usual suspects as "infallible") --- I have been using Zaxcom products for 18 years and I find it personally insulting that you insinuate that somehow I have been duped. I use Zaxcom products because there is nothing on the market that allows me to do the quality of work that I am known for. I haven't found products from the competition (when there even is a competitive product) that can do the things which I now take for granted in my work.

"I truly respect some of Zaxcoms product line, but find the business practices to be a bit shady."

To accuse Zaxcom of "shady business practices", or any of the companies that build the wonderful products we use in our work,  is truly reprehensible. You may not personally like the way Zaxcom does business but this does not allow you to make slanderous accusations regarding their business. 

I honestly feel that the major downfall with Zax, in general, is that they rush products into availability before they are fully completed just to "beat the competition". It has become a bit of a running joke regarding promised (and unrealized) features. Somehow (possibly through a network of "endorsements") they have drummed up a devout following who see them as completely infallible.

I truly respect some of Zaxcoms product line, but find the business practices to be a bit shady.

God, I sound like "R" here

I don't see anything wrong about selling and constantly improving a product. I have used a nomad for almost 2 years and been very happy working.

Hey, Wyatt, some pretty bold statements, most not even having any relation to reality and some being downright un-true and slanderous.

Bold, I'll own. Slanderous... well, I don't agree. I presented my opinion, as I see it, and it is just that. But I didn't expect to not have a debate on my hands with this, so here goes...

"I honestly feel that the major downfall with Zax, in general, is that they rush products into availability before they are fully completed just to 'beat the competition'."

First of all, what is this "downfall" that you refer to? As for "beating the competition" many of the most progressive products created by Zaxcom have not had any competition: the first Deva I, the first and only location file-based recorder, the first all digital wireless microphone systems followed by wireless transmitters that are both transmitters, receivers with IFB and timecode recorders (still no competition to this day), first wireless boom operator box with built in IFB and local monitoring with recording (no competition there), first camera hop with IFB confidence return and backup recording, first integrated wireless remote control for all significant settings of wireless transmitters (including preamp gain, frequency, record start and stop) with Zaxnet also providing wireless audio and timecode monitoring with multiple applications (high quality boom op monitoring, director and script w/timecode readout and use as an audio and timecode to camera that replaces most sync boxes), and the list goes on. So, as to releasing things early "just to beat the competition" isn't a statement that means anything.

This comment was made in regard to the current line of mixer/recorders. This thread is about the Maxx and it's features.

"It has become a bit of a running joke regarding promised (and unrealized) features."

Where is this running joke circulating? Possibly amongst the users of all these competitive products that were released on schedule, seemingly had no problems or hiccups when introduced, or from the rather large group of highly vocal sound people who have never used any Zaxcom gear?

Sorry but, with respect, that last line is awfully presumtuous. I know a number of folks working in the real world (and in fact, some here) who will openly admit their frustrations that the product they were sold on still isn't capable of a number of the features they were sold on. That seems to get easily swept under the rug

"Somehow (possibly through a network of 'endorsements') they have drummed up a devout following who see them as completely infallible."

Now, this is totally ridiculous. This reminds me of all the statements that were made (and to some extent continue to be made) regarding products from Apple. Things like "Apple has only been successful because of this tiny number of cult-like followers who have drunk the Kool-Aid". Any real world polling of the millions and millions of people who use Apple products everyday is the simplest refutation of this type of thinking. Zaxcom didn't "drum up" some sort of following and then we were all coerced into "endorsing" their products (and none of us have ever referred to any of the usual suspects as "infallible") --- I have been using Zaxcom products for 18 years and I find it personally insulting that you insinuate that somehow I have been duped. I use Zaxcom products because there is nothing on the market that allows me to do the quality of work that I am known for. I haven't found products from the competition (when there even is a competitive product) that can do the things which I now take for granted in my work.

I'm honestly sorry if you take personal insult. Maybe I should have underscored the word "possibly" here. In no way do I assume that all happy users have received preferential tratment. I honestly don't know that ANY do. It has always seemed fishy to me that some of the most vocal proponents seem to somehow have the inside track, but whatever. Whether it's true or not, I'll openly admit to not knowing. 

"I truly respect some of Zaxcoms product line, but find the business practices to be a bit shady."

To accuse Zaxcom of "shady business practices", or any of the companies that build the wonderful products we use in our work,  is truly reprehensible. You may not personally like the way Zaxcom does business but this does not allow you to make slanderous accusations regarding their business. 

Starting this sentence with "I", It was assumed that it would be taken as commentary. We may not agree on this, but I hope I'm entitled to express my opinion (which is not an uneducated one, and is based on my own experiences).

Regardless the legal definition of slander,it is bad manners to slam any company in this manner IMO. Stones and glass houses come to mind. All products that come to market are not perfect in every way. Ask GM,Ford,BMW, etc about recalls. Just the way it is. 

CrewC

I was simply addressing cloud's statement below (RE: "finishing one product"), at the time of the post. Not trying to be rude, just presenting my personal opinion on the matter

Current software v1.25, 900CL does NOT support gain control on TX yet. Another BIG ODD decision from Zaxcom plus 900CL can't even hold its tc after power off.

I really wish they can FINISH one product then go into develop another rather than having such a long line of products that needs improving. Poor Howy.

Only use IFB100 through deva&mix8, that's the fastest way.

I dont do the kind of gigs that you guys do so i ordered a Maxx with 6 channels and for me this fits the bill. Im very happy with my purchase and had 2 days of production last week (1 commercial and 1 run and gun). The little Maxx performed very well. What is important for me is the isos. I usually do the post on the projects i work on and this gives me the flexibility i need. I also like the never clip feature and the mic pres :)

The only thing that bugs me is that the Erx2 are not compatible with the optional tx. I would of gladly bought a bunch of them to send scratch sound to camera(s) and to replace Comteks as listening devices for director, script, clients...

My 0.02$

Franky

Technically, the ERX2 is perfectly useable with Maxx. You would send stereo audio (and timecode) to a QRX mounted on camera, which would then broadcast that signal out over Zaxnet, to your ERX's.

maybe it is just me but I don't need an automix and wireless transfer.,I did not buy a nomad for those features. Do you own a nomad?

The point made is that Nomad was sold on features that don't exist yet. They may or may not matter to you. That's not the point.

Some people will get great use out of an automixer and it maybe one of the major reasons they bought the machine - I'd find that akin to buying a car that promised air-conditioning (not necessarily essential but very useful in certain circumstances) only to find that it might get installed in the vehicle in 24 months time.

maybe it is just me but I don't need an automix and wireless transfer.,I did not buy a nomad for those features. Do you own a nomad?

I don't. But I don't know what that has to do with anything. I use the machine quite regularly. Still doesn't change my position.

Just because you don't care about those features doesn't mean that others don't/didn't, that they weren't used to hype the product, and potentially persuaded others to purchase it. I don't understand how this is so hard to understand.

All of the promised features on Maxx are implemented and working well. There are even some features that wasn't originally on the list that has been added and implemented. Maxx so far has been a very solid machine. Maxx, like all Zaxcom products, will continue to evolve as user feedback comes into Zaxcom.

Waytt can you please elobrate on what exactly Zaxcom is doing that is shady "shady"?

So you prefer to have the function even though it does not work well??? What good does an automix do for you on the 788t?

...what?

If you're pointing to the fact that software development takes time and that's the reason for the delay in automix for Nomad, then perhaps the unit shouldn't have been sold with that feature advertised, much like that 788T wasn't sold with it - it came MUCH later into the products life as a BONUS, not an advertised feature that people were waiting for.

It has been stated here many times you buy a product for what it can do for you now - not what it will do in the future.

Then it should have been sold/advertised as what it can do currently or on release. I know this mantra, and I follow it.

Announcing a product touting features that it might have in the future is what gives some people the impression that Zaxcom fails to deliver on promises, and releases products prematurely.

I'm not pleased at all this back and forth but I guess it is the nature of discourse on forums like this. So, replying to Wyatt's reply to me, here goes:

This comment was made in regard to the current line of mixer/recorders. This thread is about the Maxx and it's features.

Your statement was a global statement about Zaxcom the company, explaining their "downfall" by sighting your opinion that they "rush products into availability before they are fully completed". My response also is global, not specific to one product. Just because you took the opportunity to be critical of Zaxcom, the company (and later, their business practices) in a thread that was ostensibly about MAXX, does not mean that this thread has stayed entirely on topic.

Sorry but, with respect, that last line is awfully presumtuous. I know a number of folks working in the real world (and in fact, some here) who will openly admit their frustrations that the product they were sold on still isn't capable of a number of the features they were sold on. That seems to get easily swept under the rug

With all these people "openly admit(ing) their frustrations" where is the cover-up? Who is sweeping anything under the rug?

I'm honestly sorry if you take personal insult. Maybe I should have underscored the word "possibly" here. In no way do I assume that all happy users have received preferential tratment.

There you go again...  why do you assume ANYONE has gotten "preferential treatment"? Satisfied users are satisfied users. What's the big deal?

I honestly don't know that ANY do. It has always seemed fishy to me that some of the most vocal proponents seem to somehow have the inside track, but whatever. Whether it's true or not, I'll openly admit to not knowing.

Again, what is this "inside track"? Why is it "fishy" when someone says they are happy with their equipment? Is it fishy when someone says they got their SD 664 and used it for one full day and everything worked? This is nuts! 

Starting this sentence with "I", It was assumed that it would be taken as commentary. We may not agree on this, but I hope I'm entitled to express my opinion (which is not an uneducated one, and is based on my own experiences).

So, if based on your own experiences, share with us these business practices which you think qualify as "shady". It certainly isn't what you originally stated as being shady, this whole idea that products are released to "beat the competition" and all the rest of that stuff you were saying.

If I recall correctly there was an astrix stating that those feature were not implemented yet.

There was an asterix added to the features upon shipping that those features were not yet enabled, well after many pre-orders were placed. Now, looking at the Zaxcom site, the information on the automixer is back on the product page, there is zero mention that the actual product doesn't contain it yet, apart from a generic "All Specifications subject to change without notice".'

All of the promised features on Maxx are implemented and working well. There are even some features that wasn't originally on the list that has been added and implemented. Maxx so far has been a very solid machine. Maxx, like all Zaxcom products, will continue to evolve as user feedback comes into Zaxcom.

This is good in the way that a ) all advertised features are working, and b ) they have added features not advertised - the BONUS that I alluded to earlier.

It's bad, because it gives the impression that Maxx is now the flavour of the month and Nomad development may fall by the wayside. This probably isn't the case, but I am talking purely from perception.

wow,i just went to have breakfast....... seems like Glenn deleted his response to my "900CL did not hold tc".as we discussed that here a bit,i put my response here.

on zaxcom website for 900CL, http://www.zaxcom.com/cameralink  there is nowhere mentioned that this device does not hold its tc, it even mentioned it has tc reader/generator specs just like all the other zaxcom products.

Timecode Reader / Generator
Clock Accuracy: 1.54 PPM (1 Frame Out in 6 Hours)
Timecode Type: SMPTE
Timecode Frame-Rates: 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97NDF, 29.97DF, 30NDF, 30DF

and for who was beta testing, i did not see anywhere mentioned 900CL does not hold its tc in that (something new from zaxcom)thread either.  It's a big miss-lead for users. At least it mis-leading me. Plus the ifb on 900CL does not change TRX's gain yet.( i was expecting it does that function since its IFB and its from zaxcom). Is the IFB200 does the remote gain thing ??( is that could be another big miss-lead?)

if the 900CL will only be a TC reader,plz list it on your website so ppl won't mis-understand it anymore.