Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

The camera links TC generator is accurate. Though the camera link doesn't have a internal battery to keep code when powered down. AFAIK it was never claimed to have one.

The links zaxnet IFB is not intended to control TRX transmitters and also AFAIK it was never marketed to do so.

I think it can be done. My qrx100qifb holds sync when powered down...

I'm having a hard time working out the logic with development on some of the new products.  Zaxcom has made (what I believe) is a good product/technology of the "Zaxnet" implementation and integration into their mixer/recorder and wireless technology.  It wasn't too long ago  (if not still) that Zaxnet was used as a huge perk and selling point of Zaxcom products (am I wrong?).

So, you would think with any new product that has been developed since the Zaxnet implementation, would associate those features to retain that compatibility (entirely) to allow user flexibility and satisfaction (is this crazy talk?  Perhaps my misunderstanding is that logic shouldn't be applied).  Why introduce a device stated to be "a full ZaxNet 2.4Ghz IFB" with certain key parameters of the Zaxnet technology missing?  Here's an example of a Nomad print add out of the most recent Sound & Picture publication:

ZaxOops2.jpg

From a customer's perspective, it's as if the advertising department is not on the same page as product development's, and this is what ends up causing issues down the road as we've heard here.  

I could continue on with this logic into the development of the Maxx as for why it didn't get the Zaxnet build in like the Nomad, however that has already been addressed from Glenn and his explanation is what it is... and that's fine, at least it was mentioned to the customers and they knew before investing.

I think it can be done. My qrx100qifb holds sync when powered down...

that's the thing I'm chasing for. My QIFB in earlier version does not hold its tc as well after power off. From QIFB v1.51 it does now. And nowhere it's been mentioned that the QIFB has internal batt.

I know a number of ppl use stereo link (both trx/sta and 900CL) in their small bag setup as a main recorder. It would be so nice I can jam it in the morning and put the GR2 in my bag pack or elsewhere. Any un-needed weight reduced on the shoulder would be much appreciated.

And if 900CL was intended designed NOT to hold its TC after power off. Plz list it on website. And plz tell the other users when writing a review. It's such important function. And that's also the reason why I call its ODD decision from Zaxcom. No idea why they did this.

I asked Zaxcom about timecode accuracy while the QRX100QIFB is powered down and Howy Stark told me that the QIFB unit has a super-capacitor that allows it to hold the TC for a few minutes after power down. He was not specific about the length of time. He did say that if it loses the code it should reset to zeros which in theory you would notice. My guess is that the TRX900CL and most other non-recorder Zaxcom products have a similar system in place: Seems like they're generally designed to hold TC long enough for battery changes but not much more. Of course, this product is designed to always be receiving TC from some other source either plugged in or via Zaxnet.

I was also told by Zaxcom that the Nomad will hold TC while powered down with an accuracy of "1 frame every hour or two ".

I took that to mean keep everything powered up whenever possible.

The beauty of the Zaxnet system is that if you are using it exclusively for all TC distribution on set you don't need to worry about drift as all devices will re-jam as soon as the master TC device is powered up. Seems to me the situation get's a little hairy when you're trying to mix in traditional TC generators in certain places of your workflow. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was also told by Zaxcom that the Nomad will hold TC while powered down with an accuracy of "1 frame every hour or two ".

I took that to mean keep everything powered up whenever possible.

I did some tests a long time ago and I don't remember the exact numbers but with my nomad powered down for 6 hours I had something like a two frame drift with my Deneke.

Dear Cloud,

None of our camera links have ever held time code with power off. The TRX900CL is the same as the TRX900 with the STA150 in this respect.  The Camera link does have its own time code generator and is made to connect to the time code out and audio out of a mixer/recorder. As a link it is the job of the TRX900CL to communicate audio and time code from an external source to the camera. Not to provide its own seperate TC clock.

If our link were to have its generator keep time with power off it would most likely cause  problems as you would then need to set another generator separate from the master generator in the recorder. I do believe that a man with 2 watches never knows the correct time. 

In all of the years we sold our stereo links I can not ever remember anyone asking for the unit to keep time code running with power off. 

This is not a feature that was ever promoted and it is not something that will be added as it is a hardware feature that is not possible at this point.

I regret that you feel you were mislead because we never disclosed that the unit did not keep time with power off. We as well as any other manufacture would only list features of a product and not list non-features. This non-feature would only be listed if there was a reasonable expectation that it would have the feature. In this case I do not feel it is reasonable to expect it to do this as none or our links have ever done this.

I believe that the TRX900CL provides, excellent value, features and audio quality. The product was released with all advertised features after a long beta test and has proved to be one or our best new products.

Glenn

usually people who do not use/own zax have the general negative opinion about the company.

Rado, this is a typical BS "fan" response. It might be best you know what you're talking about before speaking.

Your comments so far don't address ANY of what was said. They only show you to be a blind follower. Whether or not that's the person you are... I don't know ,and don't really care. But when you make rebuttal such as the one above... Well, that is what I perceive.

Now back to talking about Maxx and its features.

I have to agree with Rado I find that people have a tendency to bash zax and their products unfairly. When zax has an issue there are people posting all kinds of stuff about them and many are not zax ownwrs. For example nomad screen brightness issue got them dragged through the mud. The problem was fixed rather quickly. But 664 is having the same issue for several months and I see no real pissed of people.

Technically, the ERX2 is perfectly useable with Maxx. You would send stereo audio (and timecode) to a QRX mounted on camera, which would then broadcast that signal out over Zaxnet, to your ERX's.

Hi Justin,

Thank you for your reply...

I know that setup works, but i have to buy the internal tx + a qrx and then the erx (!)

Just seems overkill and expensive for a scratch track+monitoring no?

Right now I use a g3+Comteks 216 for this.

Would just like a more direct and simple way to send scratch tracks + monitoring...

BTW, if I ever go with the Maxx built-in tx, do the older zax rx (ENG receiver, Goldline, Stereoline) hold their own compared to the current RX900s?

Franky

With regards to the TC issue, I would like to point out that most sync boxed are not able to hold TC through a power cycle, including what might be called the industry standard, the Ambient Lockit.

The beauty of the Zax system is that it auto-syncs over wifi so it's kind of like it holds TC on its own.

I could perhaps see the argument that something like the Lockit should hold TC even after a battery change, but for any device that syncs through a wireless connection, I really don't see a point

Hi Justin,

I know that setup works, but i have to buy the internal tx + a qrx and then the erx (!)

Would just like a more direct and simple way to send scratch tracks + monitoring...

BTW, if I ever go with the Maxx built-in tx, do the older zax rx (ENG receiver, Goldline, Stereoline) hold their own compared to the current RX900s?

Franky

You can always just get an IFB100/200 and an ERX. I'm using that setup in what is otherwise an SD/Lectro cart (as yet)

Hi Justin,

Franky

True, the setup I mentioned is best if you also have to send a stereo mix to camera. Otherwise the IFB200 is a good choice.

The Goldline, Stereoline and RX900's cannot output timecode like the QRX can. They are also not receiving firmware updates (to my knowledge).

Rado, this is a typical BS "fan" response. It might be best you know what you're talking about before speaking.

Your comments so far don't address ANY of what was said. They only show you to be a blind follower. Whether or not that's the person you are... I don't know ,and don't really care. But when you make rebuttal such as the one above... Well, that is what I perceive.

Now back to talking about Maxx and its features.

First of all I said "usually". I understand that some of the criticism is coming from users and when it is valid I even join in.

Second of all I am not a fan. I am an end user. I ripped zaxcom a new one a few times and I will do it again when they deserve it.

Third of all we were talking about the maxx.

With regards to the TC issue, I would like to point out that most sync boxed are not able to hold TC through a power cycle, including what might be called the industry standard, the Ambient Lockit.

The beauty of the Zax system is that it auto-syncs over wifi so it's kind of like it holds TC on its own.

I could perhaps see the argument that something like the Lockit should hold TC even after a battery change, but for any device that syncs through a wireless connection, I really don't see a point

This is good in the way that a ) all advertised features are working, and b ) they have added features not advertised - the BONUS that I alluded to earlier.

It's bad, because it gives the impression that Maxx is now the flavour of the month and Nomad development may fall by the wayside. This probably isn't the case, but I am talking purely from perception.

I feel the same. There has not been any nomad development in a while and I am patiently awaiting for a few important things.