Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

I feel the same. There has not been any nomad development in a while and I am patiently awaiting for a few important things.

I agree. There are some basic things with Nomad that were talked about a while ago such as changes to the screen, meters, presets, etc. that haven't been addressed yet. I hope they don't get the back burner either. I understand these things are complicated and take time, I just hope they aren't forgotten about as it seems there are A LOT of Nomad users out there.

Zaxcom has been pioneering feature sets that no one else offers for a long time-- and i really respect them for that. 

However, what I like best about the MAXX isn't it's crazy feature set, but just the fact that it is a really well made and sounding mixer and recorder at about the size I want to use it at with isos and time code. My only wish is that instead of bothering with AAs, there was a way to put some sort of rechargeable brick directly into the unit (perhaps Sony L series or something like that..).

Right now I'm thinking hawkswoods stubby np-1s are the way to go for low profile MAXX power, but want to hear other people's thoughts.

C

Zaxcom has been pioneering feature sets that no one else offers for a long time-- and i really respect them for that. 

However, what I like best about the MAXX isn't it's crazy feature set, but just the fact that it is a really well made and sounding mixer and recorder at about the size I want to use it at with isos and time code. My only wish is that instead of bothering with AAs, there was a way to put some sort of rechargeable brick directly into the unit (perhaps Sony L series or something like that..).

Right now I'm thinking hawkswoods stubby np-1s are the way to go for low profile MAXX power, but want to hear other people's thoughts.

C

I already went with np-35 batteries. I was told that idx charger charges them fine but that turned not to be true.

Other then that the form factor is the best for a small maxx package...

True, the setup I mentioned is best if you also have to send a stereo mix to camera. Otherwise the IFB200 is a good choice.

The Goldline, Stereoline and RX900's cannot output timecode like the QRX can. They are also not receiving firmware updates (to my knowledge).

Alright, i'll look into the IFB200, thanks...

Going back to the ENG receiver, Goldline and Stereoline, even if they wont output tc, to they sound good? I dont see them all that often in the WTS section, could someone please give me an idea of the price?

Thank you all for your suggestions,

Franky

Have anyone try the Schoeps SuperCMIT 2U with Maxx?

yes  i tried. they working great, and you can set two different gain on two chs so one always can be a backup for the other. 

in my bag there are one QIFB,one QRX,one Maxx and one Super cmit, i put the unit record at six tracks and with built in TX on, everything runs about three hours on a NP-1 batt. Not really power saving but can be accepted. 

I want to update all as to the current status of MAXX.

The unit is now shipping to all dealers. The MAXX was released about 1 month ago with all advertised features. Maxx was very thoroughly beta tested and was released with virtually no software defects and no hardware defects.

We have since added 4 channel recording capability at 192Khz with 1 second of Pre-Record as an extra bonus feature as well as some other routing extras.

The release of MAXX has been our best mixer/recorder release to date. We did take more time than usual to make sure we got the job done right and I feel it was worth the effort. Reports of the sunlight visibility of the MAXX display have been excellent with no issues. Microphone preamp quality is excellent and from our tests I feel it is the best mic pre we or any manufacture has put into a portable mixer/recorder. The NeverClip 137 dB input combined with an ultra low noise floor have proved to be an excellent if not perfect architecture. Our efforts to eliminate limiters and their inherent distortion has set MAXX apart from all other products in the industry. 

I do think there is some misunderstanding on the Zaxnet side of things. The MAXX internal UHF camera link transmitter is the key to Zaxnet compatibility when used with a QRX with QIFB option. Please see the MAXX white paper in the manufacturers and dealers section of JWsound for a complete explanation.

MAXX battery life surprised us when it came in at 4.5 hours on NiMh cells. Auto power backup from external to internal is almost 100% efficient and has a noiseless switching characteristic. 

I want to thank all of our dealers and customers for supporting us in our efforts to innovate and to bring you new products that help you improve the quality of your work on a daily basis. I am very happy with where we are on this and I hope to bring out more innovations soon. I would also like to acknowledge Howy Stark and his most excellent software that make my hardware designs come to life. 

Glenn

Fair enough, Glenn. On the Zaxnet thing, I already have a hop, which I like, so don't need the expense of the internal radio link. Anyway, I use other mixers as well, so need one that is external. Having zaxnet without the need for a zax hop would be a great thing, although I accept it is  not the way  you intend to go. I just think a separate zaxnet system, with the possibility of multiple monitor feeds and tc would be great, without the xpense of zax radio links which personally I don't need. I guess the other option is TC Buddy, which has the advantage of wifi. But apart from that Maxx is a perfect small form solution for many jobs. 

I am a little confused still, if one gets the Maxx with the built in transmitter, and a QRX receiver with IFB option on camera, then does this give as much functionality as getting the Maxx without the transmitter and separately getting the new Camera Link?  The latter I understand includes Zaxnet, and the former does not but seems to have the same/similar functionality.  I did read the white paper and have the impression that with the Maxx to the max, along with the other components, that there would not be anything significant to gain using the external camera link, and it would be a less complex setup internally.  I am also not sure if it is really necessary with the camera link of getting recording on the talent's transmitter, on the Maxx itself, and again in the camera link, not to mention on the camera itself.  I am trying to configure the best system for a small production using all Zaxcom equipment with the Maxx.

I want to update all as to the current status of MAXX.

The unit is now shipping to all dealers. The MAXX was released about 1 month ago with all advertised features. Maxx was very thoroughly beta tested and was released with virtually no software defects and no hardware defects.

We have since added 4 channel recording capability at 192Khz with 1 second of Pre-Record as an extra bonus feature as well as some other routing extras.

The release of MAXX has been our best mixer/recorder release to date. We did take more time than usual to make sure we got the job done right and I feel it was worth the effort. Reports of the sunlight visibility of the MAXX display have been excellent with no issues. Microphone preamp quality is excellent and from our tests I feel it is the best mic pre we or any manufacture has put into a portable mixer/recorder. The NeverClip 137 dB input combined with an ultra low noise floor have proved to be an excellent if not perfect architecture. Our efforts to eliminate limiters and their inherent distortion has set MAXX apart from all other products in the industry.

I do think there is some misunderstanding on the Zaxnet side of things. The MAXX internal UHF camera link transmitter is the key to Zaxnet compatibility when used with a QRX with QIFB option. Please see the MAXX white paper in the manufacturers and dealers section of JWsound for a complete explanation.

MAXX battery life surprised us when it came in at 4.5 hours on NiMh cells. Auto power backup from external to internal is almost 100% efficient and has a noiseless switching characteristic.

I want to thank all of our dealers and customers for supporting us in our efforts to innovate and to bring you new products that help you improve the quality of your work on a daily basis. I am very happy with where we are on this and I hope to bring out more innovations soon. I would also like to acknowledge Howy Stark and his most excellent software that make my hardware designs come to life.

Glenn

Thanks for your update Glenn. Also thanks for adding 4 channel 192K recording. To me, that was the extra feature that made the maxx enticing enough to get in addition to my nomad.

I am a little confused still, if one gets the Maxx with the built in transmitter, and a QRX receiver with IFB option on camera, then does this give as much functionality as getting the Maxx without the transmitter and separately getting the new Camera Link?  The latter I understand includes Zaxnet, and the former does not but seems to have the same/similar functionality.  I did read the white paper and have the impression that with the Maxx to the max, along with the other components, that there would not be anything significant to gain using the external camera link, and it would be a less complex setup internally.  I am also not sure if it is really necessary with the camera link of getting recording on the talent's transmitter, on the Maxx itself, and again in the camera link, not to mention on the camera itself.  I am trying to configure the best system for a small production using all Zaxcom equipment with the Maxx.

If you go for the TRX900CL you will add the ability to receive the IFB return from the QIFB transmitter on the camera. Or you can use the TRX900CL Zaxnet transmitter as an extra IFB channel. Otherwise the functionality is about the same.

Glenn

Thanks for your update Glenn. Also thanks for adding 4 channel 192K recording. To me, that was the extra feature that made the maxx enticing enough to get in addition to my nomad.

192Khz was a very hard thing to do as recording 4 channels at 192Khz is like recording 16  48Khz channels. We did get the Job done. The 1 second pre record was just enough to get sound effects without having to be in record mode until it happens. If you go for 2 channel recording you will get  2 seconds of pre-record. (Seems like a long time at 192) ;-)

Glenn

I am trying to configure the best system for a small production using all Zaxcom equipment with the Maxx.

The TRX900CL and the Maxx transmitter will both transmit two channels of audio (equal quality) with embedded TC.

But the main differences are:

TRX900CL:

Adds ZaxNet TC and audio distribution to ERX's for client monitoring, camera scratch track and / or wireless TC locking - which can be mounted on a camera or slate.

You also get an additional two track recorder - which can be a backup to you Maxx tracks. There can never be too much redundancy.

Maxx built in link:

You get a smaller footprint with no cabling 

Cheaper

has set MAXX apart from all other products in the industry. 

Cheers Glenn.  I'm very happy with this little guy.  You guys got me to switch over with this thing as it suites my needs perfectly.

One thing I'd like to request, and hopefully it isn't a biggy, is to allow users to format media while mirroring is turned on.

Other than that, I'm very satisfied.  Love Neverclip and the preamps.  Clean and sensitive with room to play.

The TRX900CL and the Maxx transmitter will both transmit two channels of audio (equal quality) with embedded TC.

But the main differences are:

TRX900CL:

Adds ZaxNet TC and audio distribution to ERX's for client monitoring, camera scratch track and / or wireless TC locking - which can be mounted on a camera or slate.

You also get an additional two track recorder - which can be a backup to you Maxx tracks. There can never be too much redundancy.

Maxx built in link:

You get a smaller footprint with no cabling

Cheaper

So hold on...

Will maxx embed the TC trough the maxx TX signal? If I get a qifb upgrade on my camera qrx100 will I I get TC out of the maxx hop?

So hold on...

Will maxx embed the TC trough the maxx TX signal? If I get a qifb upgrade on my camera qrx100 will I I get TC out of the maxx hop?

This has always been the case, the TRX900 w/STA transmitted 2 channel audio and TC, the TRX900CL does 2 channel audio and timecode and so does the in-built Maxx transmitter.

The only thing Maxx doesn't do that I wish it did is send Zaxnet controls out its timecode connector.

This has always been the case, the TRX900 w/STA transmitted 2 channel audio and TC, the TRX900CL does 2 channel audio and timecode and so does the in-built Maxx transmitter.

The only thing Maxx doesn't do that I wish it did is send Zaxnet controls out its timecode connector.

True true. Another thing that I was chasing for Nomad and Maxx. Ain't difficult but I guess that's a "not promised feature" now.

I tried send tc from TX built in Maxx to QIFB. that works fine.