Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

Anyone who is awaiting access to the forum and needs version 1.11 pm me your email address and I will send it to you.

I just update to version 1.11.

I discovered that in record routing if I  assain card 1 input 1, card 2 input 2, card 3 input 3, card 4 input 4, card 5 out 1 card 6 out 2, In playback I can hear only what was in input1 and 2,

viceversa if I use defautl card 1/2 out 1/2  card 3/4/5/6  input 1/2/3/4 I can hear the full mix....

Having a problem loading software on Maxx. I have a unit with the 6 track recording upgrade. Excellent machine though, and grasping it pretty well so far.

I formatted card on PC, copied the .bin file (1.11, previously tried 1.01 from Zaxcom site both had problems) and hit power with start key. I keep getting "NO FILE FOUND ON CARD" followed by "CHKSUM: 0X00000001" after it searches for prog file on mirror card. I'm on v0.99 right now- what it shipped with.

Another few issues:

-When I input custom track names I can only see them on the record monitor screen, where I can't use autotrim. Is there a way to have a single screen where I can see my custom names and use autotrim so I don't have to hit the * key to switch between screens?

-Any way to just set it to record just BWAVs without mirroring?

-Is there a place to insert the time of day? I can insert the date, but not the time.

-The manual says the ISO's are recorded pre-fader. I heard they fixed this- is this switchable to post-fade ISO's in the new software?

-I have a Petrol PS614. I ran velcro on the sides of the unit, and have the long pillow for the bottom (I bought it used and don't have the two small pillows). I'm making custom right-angle connectors tomorrow- are these safe to set the Maxx onto the pillow with? Do I risk damaging the unit over time having it's weight on right-angle connectors on a pillow inside? I'm ordering replacement small pillows so this will be temporary. How are you guys dealing with the rear-access inputs in your bags?

I've read the manual a few times, but can't seem to figure these out.

Thanks!

Nick

For some reason Maxx isn't seeing the .bin file on your card. Could be an issue with your card have you tried a different card - try to use the smallest size card you have. If you are still having an issue check in with Zaxcom in the morning and they can talk you updating your Maxx. 

The custom track names are naming the record tracks - not the inputs - which is why they aren't showing up on your input meters. I sent an email Howy to see if there is a possibility to add input naming.

There is no way to just create BWAV files without recording the MARF files. The MARF files gives Maxx its fault tolerant recording feature and I am not sure what advantage it would be to not record the MARF files.

Maxx's date is received from its TC.

So I can change the timecode to the time, and will the BWAVs be stamped with TOD? I do a lot of shoot without TC and the time of day stamp has helped editors. I rarely use timecode and have been a Sound Devices 700-series user for awhile so this is new to me.

This hopefully doesn't sound stupid: but once I set TC it will be just like the 702T where I connect the slate and jam from the slate? Nothing additional needed from the Maxx? I read the notice about Denecke slates and will set it to the proper speed on the slate, rather than auto.

Jack, what about post-fader ISO recording? And thank you for sending my suggestion.

This hopefully doesn't sound stupid: but once I set TC it will be just like the 702T where I connect the slate and jam from the slate? Nothing additional needed from the Maxx? I read the notice about Denecke slates and will set it to the proper speed on the slate, rather than auto.

You can jam Maxx's TC from a slate or you can jam a slate TC from Maxx - either way nothing special is needed. Just set Maxx to receive or output the TC as necessary.

And yes you can not use the auto setting in any Denecke. You need to set the Denecke to the correct frame rate.

Having a problem loading software on Maxx. I have a unit with the 6 track recording upgrade. Excellent machine though, and grasping it pretty well so far.

I formatted card on PC, copied the .bin file (1.11, previously tried 1.01 from Zaxcom site both had problems) and hit power with start key. I keep getting "NO FILE FOUND ON CARD" followed by "CHKSUM: 0X00000001" after it searches for prog file on mirror card. I'm on v0.99 right now- what it shipped with.

The same thing happened to with a Sandisk 4GB 30mb/s. I couldn't power down so i pulled the power off. I dont know if this is the right thing to do in these cases. I then formatted a new Transcend 32gb 133x and it updating to v1.11 worked.

OK, first impressions, possible rookie errors. I really don't like the REC button, finding myself in timecode screen more often than not. I thought there was a menu option to reverse this behaviour, but I can't find it. 2: Changing folders takes 12 button presses (I counted them), with mirroring on, and I can't see me not having mirroring on, ever. I would really like a quick shortcut to go to next folder, on both drives. This is clunky. Am I wrong? Also, what setting are people using to use the compressors as limiters? Thanks.

There is no shifted / unshifted mode in Maxx.

As for going into record just hold the record key for about 2 seconds.

As for changing folders there is a short cut already. Go to the mode menu and set " folder change" to on. That allows the mirror folder to automatically change when you change the primary folder.

There is no shifted / unshifted mode in Maxx.

As for going into record just hold the record key for about 2 seconds.

As for changing folders there is a short cut already. Go to the mode menu and set " folder change" to on. That allows the mirror folder to automatically change when you change the primary folder.

Jack, you have to turn off mirroring before you can change folder, this applies even with folder change set to on. That is why I counted the incredible number of button presses to achieve this simple function. It seems very arcane, when on my SD I press stop and FF to start a new folder on all media. I am very disappointed about the lack of unshifted option, as I was told by users and vendors about it, who naturally assumed that it would be the same as Nomad. Seems an oversight to me. I understand about holding it down, but it seems clumsy to me for the primary function to be shifted, and I would prefer it the other way round, as TC is a secondary function as far as I am concerned. I want to go quickly into record, not have to faff about holding a button for 2 sec. If the Nomad has it, why on earth has the Maxx not, when it is a mini Nomad?